Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Gunpowder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunpowder

Three parter started last Saturday on BBC 1 at 9,on again tomorrow about the 1605 plot.Actually learnt a fair bit.I did nt know that if you didnt plead you could be pressed to death.First time i can remember seeing someone hung drawn and quartered on tv.Though your entrails were burnt in front of you.The quarters were sent to différent cities for public exhibition.No doubt with an X certificae.

Found the "graphicality" a bit gratuitous and unnecessary, could've left something to the imagination.

Doesn't get much better (worse?) in the final episode, either (no spoiler, if it's historically correct we all know how it's going to end ......)

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
      Found the "graphicality" a bit gratuitous and unnecessary, could've left something to the imagination.

Doesn't get much better (worse?) in the final episode, either (no spoiler, if it's historically correct we all know how it's going to end ......)
      Is it being shown on Aussie TV Arthur?

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Is it being shown on Aussie TV Arthur?
        Nope, read a newspaper article about it, made me curious and so sourced a copy {*ahem*}{*cough*}{*cough*} .....
        Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 28th October 2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Nope, read a newspaper article about it, made me curious and so sourced a copy {*ahem*}{*cough*}{*cough*} .....
          Right! Your secret's safe with me mate!

Comment

Liked it . Ideal 4 this grusum season
            Suprised 3 episodes available on iplayer . Haven't been tempted somethings play better serialised .
            Last edited by AlecLeamas; 29th October 2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

It’s called acting

Nobody was really eviscerated or beheaded

I caught the end of Goggle Box when they were watching this and they were all screaming, gasping and hiding behind their hands or cushions. What a bunch of wimps, playing up their reactions for the cameras

Steve

Comment

Coming up this week
                burning at the stake
                stretching,,the rack from à vertical position
                If you are ever sentanced to be burnt at the stake give the executioner à toi and he will finish you off quickly

Comment

With “King James” doing a bad Sean Connery accent (well, he is supposed to be Scottish) and the priest still able to walk after being stretched, I thought it was all mainly quite amusing

There was a warning about violent and upsetting scenes, but I didn’t see any

Steve

Comment

It may only be acting, but it is certainly acting par excellence.

When the young man was being stretched vertically, I almost wretched at the sickening scenes, as if it was actually happening, and that is good drama, no more, no less.

Comment

Depressingly awful - another commission from the ' everything in the past was crap' propaganda bureau.
                      Meanwhile rampant sex on Emmerdale and double murders on Coronation St.
                      Last edited by Bert Quark; 29th October 2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

^ Is the sex on Emmerdale shown or implied? (I haven't seen much of it)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
                          Maybe I should start watching Emmerdale

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
                            Depressingly awful - another commission from the ' everything in the past was crap' propaganda bureau.
                            Numerous people on the Corrie fb forums are saying the double-murder is a storyline too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                              Maybe I should start watching Emmerdale

Steve
                              After being nurtured on a diet of Powell and Pressburger I think you would be severely dismayed .
                              The basic Emmerdale plot line is ..people have sex and then shout at each other with the fall out from the relationship..there are no real straight or gay people in Emmerdale as they are all having sex with each other. I assume they got rid of the original farm as heaven knows what would have gone on there,
                              and I suspect that if you walked in the writer's room you would find a couple of giggling teenage boys.
                              Last edited by Bert Quark; 29th October 2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X