Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

A Family at War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark O
    started a topic A Family at War

A Family at War

Is anyone else enjoying the re-runs of this Granada drama series on the talking pictures channel ?

A young Barbara Flynn and David Dixon are both members of the Ashton family, David went to do The Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy, Barbara has a long, varied CV.

Benedict Cumberbatch's parents met on set, Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton, and married a few years later.

Though the series is set in Liverpool, only one cast member, Colin Campbell (known for the cult Biker film, The leather boys), speaks with a Merseyside accent.

• Mark O
    replied
    Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post

This is noticeable, and I wonder why they did it? Seems a bit silly to set a drama somewhere where no-one (except one character) has a local accent?

I still record it every Sunday though!
    Me too !

I wouldn't have thought it particularly difficult for a professionally trained actor to learn to speak in a scouse accent for a drama series, but then not everyone did in 'Bread' or 'Brookside' either lol.

Leave a comment:

• Faginsgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark O View Post
    Though the series is set in Liverpool, only one cast member, Colin Campbell (known for the cult Biker film, The leather boys), speaks with a Merseyside accent.
    This is noticeable, and I wonder why they did it? Seems a bit silly to set a drama somewhere where no-one (except one character) has a local accent?

I still record it every Sunday though!

Leave a comment:

• Mark O
    replied
    Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
    One of my favourite series of all times (toss-up with When the Boat Comes In). Originally compulsory Friday night viewing in the ALJ household.

Have the whole series as video files and binge watch a collection of episodes every so often, until I've seen the whole series over a coupe of months.
    The box-set of WTBCI is for sale in Sainsbury's (and other places no doubt).

Along with Upstairs Downstairs, and a number of Corrie episodes, some episodes of AFAW were filmed in monochrome, because of the Camera men's strike, which is a shame, it was still the early days of colour, microphone booms and clunking on the set can sometimes be seen and heard, several Corrie favourites such as Julie Goodyear and Bill Waddington appeared in it, but then being a Granada production I guess they would, looks like the same tin of Corrie brown paint was used for all the doors in the Ashton house as well lol.

Leave a comment:

• arthur linden-jones
    replied
    One of my favourite series of all times (toss-up with When the Boat Comes In). Originally compulsory Friday night viewing in the ALJ household.

Have the whole series as video files and binge watch a collection of episodes every so often, until I've seen the whole series over a coupe of months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X