Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

British TV abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British TV abroad

A little anecdote about British TV abroad (or some anyway).
    Monty Python was tried on Swedish TV (SR1) when I (a Brit) lived there some years ago. My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to invite a load of friends for the showing of the pilot, in case explanations were needed.
    The episode chosen was the one with the Twit of the Year Competition, which was OK until one of contests was Kicking The Butler. At that point it was immediately taken off air and replaced with an episode of Naughty Marietta's Night Games (yes, that kind of show). Sex is OK on TV in Sweden at any time of day, but violence is a no-no.
    We had done the same thing with a trial of Till Death Us Do Part, which was at least shown in full, largely because nobody understood it and nobody laughed. When Alf inevitably called his wife a "silly moo" there were looks of puzzlement over the cans of Pripps IIB and when it was all over I explained that this was a derogatory term deriving from "cow".
    One of the guests quite seriously explained that cows are not a subject of contempt, but are in fact very beneficial, in terms of milk, skin and meat. Why make jokes about them? The others nodded approvingly. At least there was no violence, which would have soon got it removed.

I enjoyed the Only Fools And Horses double bill, Miami Twice, that was filmed in the US, i liked to hear the British accents alongside the American accents.

Comment

Swedes sound like party poopers.

Comment

Originally posted by will View Post
        Swedes sound like party poopers.
        Depends how you look at it. They love parties, especially outdoors, but their sense of humour is very different from ours.
        The "standard" Swedish joke is: Two men in a bar. One says to the other: "I've bedded half the women in this town". The other one replies: "Well, it is a very small town".
        I don't "get it" either, but they fall about over it.
        Another is: I went to see the Consumer Ombudsman but he was out having lunch". (ie "consuming").
        Incidentally, going back to the "silly moo" thing, a bad insult in Sweden is "dog without a tail" (specifically bitch dog). No protection of any sort, open to all (!).
        They tried a home-grown version of Steptoe and Son, called Albert and Herbert. The characters were more like Laurel and Hardy, and it wasn't too successful. Rag-and-bone businesses as such don't exist there (though recycling is fanatical) so they made it a ramshackle old wooden cottage, but it didn't really go anywhere.

Comment

Working...
        X