Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

TV censoring of cinema films.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naked animals shouldn't be shown in movies then because of some people's perversions .

Comment

Exactly ! All naked horses in westerns should be blurred out, as some pervs find them a turn on ...there was a Channel Four documentary on this topic...

Randolph Scott, John Wayne and others will ride on a cloud when their westerns are shown on television... and as for scenes in which actors light a cigarette, these are a definite 'no no' ...

I recently watched a movie om TPTV in which Terence Morgan lit a fag in every scene ...surely part of these scenes should have been blurred out ?

I estimate 50% of classic cimema from the last century requires this treatment....

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post
        .. and as for scenes in which actors light a cigarette, these are a definite 'no no' ...
        I gather this has already happened even in cartoons. It was reported that ONE person complained about a cartoon character lighting a cigarette and someone took the decision to edit out this scene and other similar scenes in a number of cartoons.

I haven't come across any blurring so far, however I've only ever watched a handful of films on Talking Pictures and in most cases the picture quality was so awful the whole thing looked a blur. The way it's going, if one starts to censor every little thing that may cause offence to someone, you'll end up with precious little left of the film.

Comment

Just watched Every Days a Holiday (a U certicicate pop musical from 1964) on TPTV mid-day ..

Why wasn't the song he song 'Romeo Jones' (50 minute in approx) blurred out for nakedness ? . Their policy is inconsistent !

Comment

Holiday Inn,shown over the festive period on Channel 4 I think, had the blackface minstrel number "Abraham" edited out, though left in was an earlier scene with waiters blacked up.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlecLeamas;n52200]Naked animals shouldn't be shown in movies then because of some people's perversions .

The horse had a saddle on it to protect its modesty !!

Comment

Mr Blurry at Talking Pictures TV has been at it again tonight during the screening of the 1962 ‘X’ film “The Boys”. In one scene, there was a pin up calendar with a young woman on it, presumably scantily dressed, and it was blurred out. The same calendar was blurred out in a courtroom scene as well. How odd. No doubt there was nothing in the calendar that couldn’t be seen in pin-ups in Parade magazine every week at the time.

Comment

The same happened in Invasion (1965) shown a few days ago on Talking Pictures - a squaddie showed a friend the cover of a paperback he was reading, showing some lurid (for 1965) image, and it was fogged out.

I really love Talking Pictures, but to think we are more heavily censored now than in a black and white film from the mid-60s is ludicrous.

Comment

And Invasion was given a 'U' certificate at the time as well.

Comment

Can I ask if this blurring of films is unique to Talking Pictures? I haven't come across this on other channels, and am not a regular viewer of Talking Pictures to have spotted it here. But frankly, if this is a regular policy on this channel, it's hardly likely to encourage viewers to watch it. I detest the fact that someone has taken it upon themselves to decide what is fit for us to view and what we may find "offensive" simply because he/she doesn't approve of it, despite the fact the film has been given the all-clear by the BBFC.

Comment

More blurring in Only Two can Play, so Mai Zetterling was not seen topless in a brief long shot in her home. Why are they treating viewers as idiots ?

Very annoying, and counter productive as it draws attention to the scene....

Comment

I have a theory that todays PC brigade are intent on erasing our history let alone frames from films lovingly created for us to enjoy. I'm waiting for the day when Frank Randle is shown again and they've cut the scene where he asks a pretty woman What's your name? Woman asks Have a guess. Frank reply's Oh I should say frozen Fanny.

On the up side not noticed wanton fogging of frames on regular broadcasting but chance yet I guess.

Talking of tin baths I happily retain Dads home movies of all us kids taking turns in and out the old tin bath which over the years we watched these and other family capers with no ill effect.

Comment

“PC Brigade” ? You must be a Daily Mail reader.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this type of censorship, it has nothing whatever to do with Political Correctness.

Comment

Some of the blurring on films on TP could be the time of it's viewing ie early before the so call watershed? and therefore could be upsetting to younger viewers!!

Comment

In any event how often do we see the full uncut version of any film eg Last Tango In Paris

Comment

Working...
                                X