Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

TV censoring of cinema films.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But this doesn't excuse TPTV for making their censoring more obvious (with Mister Blobby) than the other channels......

Also, if the same movie is screened again after 9PM the blobs should be removed and the cuts restored, but this does not seem to happen on TPTV...

Comment

Also, if the same movie is screened again after 9PM the blobs should be removed and the cuts restored, but this does not seem to happen on TPTV..
      Because that costs money, and they are hardly likely to bother to have a totally new version of the same film for post 9pm.

Comment

And then there is Streaming. I have Amazon Prime video and Netflix services. Their copies of movies are usually based on the commercially available DVD print. But they vary. I can watch at any time, day or night, so the Watershed is inapplicable. There are parental control options, to help me prevent the adult content being seen inadvertently by minors, which is how the watershed is supposed to protect the innocent. You do get occasional surprises though, where the content on the streaming service appears to be less censored than the versions available on DVD. Mind you, I've also had it where the streaming service shows the completely wrong film. They can be very slow to correct it too. One time the Bruce Lee film "Fists of Fury" turned out to be showing "Fist of Fear, Touch of Death"(1980) which is a really bad exploitation movie (it scores 2.1 on IMDb)- three months later, it hadn't been fixed. Another time I was hoping for "Macbeth"(1971) with Jon Finch, but ended up with a mid-70s American TV adaptation that was frankly embarrassing. I can't remember what I was looking for when it offered me "Baby Doll"(1956), but I know it was something completely different. I didn't watch it that time, but when I went looking for it later, it was nowhere to be found.

Comment

Having just got a Firestick and prime, I just tried searching for those films, and they do seem to come up now correctly. Could have been dodgy early software.

The speech search function is very useful!

Comment

Yep, that was a few months ago. I've had a few other examples, but couldn't remember what they were.

Comment

Watching The League Of Gentleman,one of my favourite films, on TP tonight,the scene where Jack Hawkins refers this wife as a bitch the bitch is dubbed losing the force of the delivery.

Comment

Interesting article on TPTV....So OFCOM had ONE complaint and jumped into action...!

We do not want our media censored because of one individual with an agenda .....

Daily Express article:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...ations-meeting

Comment

I wonder if the single complaint, was from the same person on each occasion.
                  A disclaimer at the start of a show should be enough, but I'm afraid this is the world we now live in.
                  Sad, very sad.

Comment

It certainly might explain why they are so over cautious about images in films, with Ofcom potentially breathing down their necks.

Comment

Originally posted by hatpeg View Post
                      I wonder if the single complaint, was from the same person on each occasion.
                      A disclaimer at the start of a show should be enough, but I'm afraid this is the world we now live in.
                      Sad, very sad.
                      I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the same person. I'm convinced some people get up in the morning and deliberately go out of their way to look for something to be offended by. However, the broadcasters and Ofcom are to blame for taking notice of them. So long as those films/programmes are shown at appropriate times, I see no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                        There have been some very odd examples of cinema film censorship over the decades. One that lasted, if I remember correctly, until the late 1950s was the practice of showing married couples sleeping in separate beds in the same bedroom when everyone knew that married couples generally slept together in a double bed.
                        A lot of Laurel & Hardy movies will be probably partially blurred or cut to ribbons on Talking Pictures, as they always slept in the same bed !

More seriously, I wonder how the classic German movie "Munchhausen" (Joseph von Baky, 1943) could be shown on British TV these days... With its harem sequence !

Comment

Which tv channels are losing viewers to TPTV ?

If they are losing audience share and hence their appeal to advertisers, they may be behind a campaign to 'bring down' TPTV by encouraging certain viewers with an agenda to report every minor reference or image they notice to OFCOM .....

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post
                            Which tv channels are losing viewers to TPTV ?

If they are losing audience share and hence their appeal to advertisers, they may be behind a campaign to 'bring down' TPTV by encouraging certain viewers with an agenda to report every minor reference or image they notice to OFCOM .....
                            If it is the case where, say for example, ITV are losing viewers, then they only have themselves to blame for the constant garbage they keep broadcasting. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched anything on that channel. Even Channel 4 has the occasional documentary which may be of some interest.

I'm surprised at Ofcom taking any action really. I always thought the point of a 9 o'clock watershed was to show stuff which is more suited to an adult audience. If somebody is complaining about a scene in a film shown during the day which is rated 'U', then Ofcom should just ignore them or tell them to watch something else instead if they find the film in question so objectionable.

This really does wind me up - the fact that one person, or a small handful of people can take it upon themselves to lodge a complaint when the vast majority of other viewers don't have any issues, and the broadcasters or Ofcom seem to appease them.

Comment

Working...
                            X