Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Can anyone check a 1951 edition of the TV Times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone check a 1951 edition of the TV Times

I've tried to find a copy of the TV Times dated from 1951 as I would appreciate a bit of information. There was a programme starring Emlyn Williams as Charles Dickens reading The Signal man and it aired on the 10th of December I believe, can anyone help. The actress Dilys Powell was the host made for ATV if that helps.

1951 is a bit early for ATV and the TVTimes, tv horror, and Dilys Powell was a well-known film critic, not an actress as far as I know. You do have the right date, however. It was a BBC programme, lasting 35 minutes, called Emlyn Williams as Charles Dickens. Summary from the book Charles Dickens on Screen:

Excerpts from Emlyn Williams' one-man show of readings in the manner of the author.

I assume you're aware of his later reading, which is on YouTube?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 6th January 2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Oops should have checked my dates it was for ATV but in 1955 as I've just found a listing in The Stage dated the 20th of October, however many thanks with the replies anything always helps. As for Miss Powell I stand corrected she was indeed a Television presenter and critic, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
    X