Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soap Talk
    • Jan 2018

Wildlife programme with no narration.

Over the Christmas holidays I came across a wildlife programme with no verbal narration and found it one of the best programmes I have watched in a long time. The subtitles were a joy to read and I was drawn into the wildlife itself more. Did anyone view it and can you remember the title of the show.
  • Steve Crook
    Administrator
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Soap Talk
    Over the Christmas holidays I came across a wildlife programme with no verbal narration and found it one of the best programmes I have watched in a long time. The subtitles were a joy to read and I was drawn into the wildlife itself more. Did anyone view it and can you remember the title of the show.
    What wildlife was it about?
    Do you remember which channel it was on?

Steve

Comment

• Soap Talk
      • Jan 2018

The wildlife was following different animals but I am confused as I watched quite a few different things including dvds, which this was not one. A pack of cheetahs with cameras on and just how quick they tire seems to stand out. But I could be wrong sorry.

Comment

• Steve Crook
        Administrator
        • Dec 2016

The wildlife was following different animals but I am confused as I watched quite a few different things including dvds, which this was not one. A pack of cheetahs with cameras on and just how quick they tire seems to stand out. But I could be wrong sorry.
        Like you, I watched a lot of TV over the CHristmas & New Year break, including a lot of wildlife documentaries including Attenborough's "Blue Planet II" but I don't recall watching any without any narration, especially not about Cheetahs. I am paricularly interested in cheetahs (& other big cats). But Cheetahs have backed themselves into an evolutionary dead-end. They are the fastest land mammal but they do tire quickly and when they've caught their prey they are usually too knackered to defend it and can be easily chased off it by hyenas, wild dogs or many other creatures

Steve

Comment

• Soap Talk
          • Jan 2018

Found part of it, it was shown on BBC 4 as part of the BBC Natural History unit. 90 mins long. I can only find a reference to it dated 16th dec stating it will be shown over christmas period. For me personally I could watch blue planet without narration after watching this and enjoy it more. It also follows 3 orphan cheetahs, superb.

Comment

• jamal.nazreddin
            • Mar 2017

A wildlife programme without narration would be so refreshing.

Not having an omnipresent, omniscient narrator informing us of an animal's emotions and motivations would be refreshing..

Mr Attenbrough's emotionally manipulative stories and music is not much different from Disney's lemmings of 1958.

Comment

• Soap Talk
              • Jan 2018

It was called "A Slow Odyssey", sorry cannot find which day.

Comment

• Steve Crook
                Administrator
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin
                A wildlife programme without narration would be so refreshing.

Not having an omnipresent, omniscient narrator informing us of an animal's emotions and motivations would be refreshing..

Mr Attenbrough's emotionally manipulative stories and music is not much different from Disney's lemmings of 1958.
                You can watch any programme with the sound down, with or without subtitles

Steve

Comment

• jamal.nazreddin
                  • Mar 2017

Yes, of course.

Comment

• Steve Crook
                    Administrator
                    • Dec 2016

It was called "A Slow Odyssey", sorry cannot find which day.
                    Ah, you mean "Turtle, Eagle, Cheetah: A Slow Odyssey", one of BBC's "slow TV" series, shown on BBC4 on Thu 28 December at 01:30
                    It's still available on the BBC iPlayer.

Steve

Comment

Working...