Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Night Will Fall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Will Fall

This has to be the most harrowing documentary I have ever watched and ask why this was hidden and surpressed for so many years. This is at the top of my list for best documentary ever. Not for the faint hearted.

The documentary is about the German Concentration Camps.The Guardian carried a very good article.https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...fred-hitchcock
    Last edited by Soap Talk; 31st January 2018, 02:55 PM.

What was it about, Soap Talk??

Comment

Originally posted by cully View Post
      What was it about, Soap Talk??
      Cancel that. I've just realized I saw it last year. Yes....harrowing.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add that it was about the Concentration camps. The Imperial War Musuem have completed the film which is called "German Concentration Camps Factual Survey". I will buy the DVD asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap Talk View Post
          This has to be the most harrowing documentary I have ever watched and ask why this was hidden and surpressed for so many years. This is at the top of my list for best documentary ever. Not for the faint hearted.

The documentary is about the German Concentration Camps.
          Was it really "hidden and surpressed"?

The IMDb page about it says:
          For nearly seven decades, the film was shelved in the British archives, abandoned without a public screening for either political reasons or shifted Government priorities, to be ultimately completed by a team of historians and film scholars of the British Imperial War Museum, who meticulously restored the original footage. Intertwined with interviews of both survivors and liberators, as well as short newsreel films and raw footage from the original film, the 2014
          Hidden & suppressed isn't the same as "never completed"

Steve

Comment

My favourite film about the German Death Camps (different to the German Concentration Camps) is Escape from Sobibor (1987)

Harrowing, but you see humanity at its worst and at its best

Steve

Comment

I don't think the German Government or our's wanted it released at any cost after seeing it. As far as I can see it was a cover up then as are a lot of things now.

Comment

During post-war years of co-operation and rebuilding, the potential for harm was considered too great. Harm to international relations, harm to a lasting peace, harm to subsequent generations of German citizens who could not be held responsible for the crimes of their parents. Harm, that would come from showing the truth. Lots of politicians would have been only too aware of the responsibility to the future prosperity, and how that would be hindered by the exposure of the true depths of depravity and cruelty that had been perpetrated by our cousins in a civilised European country. There are plenty of people who would still rather not think about the darkness that lurks beneath the superficial sanity of modern developed countries. Some people can't get enough gory details about the latest heinous crime or evil serial killer, but a majority(?) would prefer to trust in the statistical rarity of such events.
                My own view, is that there is a time for each and every one of us to be exposed to the truths behind the big events. It is difficult to judge "when", but I think it has been incorporated quite well into the educational syllabus during my children's time at school, and I think my own experience was equally good. But then... I would think that, wouldn't I! I can see why commercial, fictional works that deal with these subjects are often considered "worthy" and "brave", for daring to tackle such painful episodes. The factual documentary has a lot less flexibility when deciding how to carefully educate and inform, if the authentic footage is simply too graphic to be shown. Modern audiences are familiar with the "dramatised reconstruction" and this technique can help to explain, while also <ahem> "filter" the facts. Footage from Belsen, of large piles of fresh corpses, being bulldozed into a mass grave by the Allies after liberation, is just too overwhelming without an adequate description of what is happening. I believe that "The World at War" was probably my first glimpse of real death... it remains one of the most powerful of my formative experiences.

Please forgive the lengthy post... I just had the time.

Comment

Working...
                X