Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Putrid

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putrid

I visited England couple of weeks ago for a long weekend. Because of the rain, I had "pleasure" to watch British tv channels while waiting rain to stop.

British tv seems to be very strange, boring and somehow meaningless: lot of competitions, lot of food making programs, lot of breakfast tvs. So many programs, all completely without content.

All the progra,ms I watched, had similar features: people talking so called small talk trying to be funny all the time. Laughing all the time with loud voice, the same annoying way as Brits always do.

I did not laugh at all. Trivial, usdless, meaningless - should I say, somehow stupid all this. The only channel I could watch, was BBC News.

That sounds like you were watching TV for the proles. Most of us only watch a few channels like BBC2, BBC4 etc. Which have the good stuff on them
    I spend most of my time listening to BBC Radio 4

Is it really better or worse than American TV?

Steve

Comment

No idea about Tv in America, I live in Finland.

Comment

In that case, is it really better or worse than Finnish TV?
        If so, in what way?

Steve

Comment

Generally speaking: people in Finland speak when they have something to say, including also tv-programs.

In England everybody speaks, nobody has nothing to say, including also tv-programs.

Comment

The way most intelligent people in the UK watch tv is to target certain programmes and movies on channels that they like (there are about 50 or more to choose from...) and set their timer to record and view later...

Never watch 'live' tv unless you are interested in sporting events, which I am not .... ! I think Steve would concur....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy54 View Post
              Generally speaking: people in Finland speak when they have something to say, including also tv-programs.

In England everybody speaks, nobody has nothing to say, including also tv-programs.
              They now have so many TV channels here that they have to fill them with something, usually it's rubbish, hence the plethora of "Celebrity" programmes "starring" people that many of us have never heard of

But there are still plenty of great TV programmes in the UK. You just have to be more selective in your viewing
              Every week I scan through the listings magazines and mark programmes that look like they could be interesting. I record those on my PVR and watch them later so that I can fast forward through the ads. If they turn out to be not as interesting as I thought they might be - I delete them & watch the next programme recorded

Steve

Comment

Finnish TV? I seem to remember it featuring quite a bit on "It'll be Alright on the Night" in years gone by.

Comment

British tv seems to be very strange, boring and somehow meaningless: lot of competitions, lot of food making programs, lot of breakfast tvs. So many programs, all completely without content.
                  It's been my experience that many European TV channels show just as much rubbish. Many years ago, as well as a Sky dish, I used to have another separate dish as I wanted to pick up Spanish channels. With this, I also picked up many, many free-to-air channels from several other countries and they were all full of adverts and typical daytime TV programming. All the decent stuff were on subscription channels. I'm guessing you were probably watching something like Channel 5 and ITV - channels which show pretty much nothing but soaps, reality shows and make-over programmes.

Comment

Many of the members here will be of an age where we remember the days of "less is more". TV sets that had channel selection switches dedicated to particular channels (or a knob that you twisted, if you really want to go back); a button for BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and ITV2(?). There were less channels, but they each had to work hard for their audience share and the variety of choice was all scheduled into each evening. Nowadays you can select a channel that will show you cooking programs all day long, another for sports, another for old dramas.
                    When we heard about the channels available to American viewers we were in awe. We assumed that having 50+ channels would be like a paradise. Now I have 100+ channels and I don't watch any of them.

Comment

Surprised nobody mentilon ed Ta!ming Pictures TV.
                      When I have watched TV in European hotels it looks oh so much like our own,and that includes TV in Finland

Comment

It must be very quiet in Finland.

Comment

It does sound very peaceful in Finland. It must be a laugh a month.

You would have enjoyed what was on my TV late last year. It wasn't working properly and all I could see on it until the SKY TV techniciasn arrived was swirling green and purple bands of colour rippling across the screen.

A lot like the Northern Lights you can stand and watch in the real sky from your doorstep for free.

No wonder your nights feel so long.

Comment

Although I'm a Finn, at the moment I feel like a real Brit: Laughing all the time with loud voice, the same annoying way as Brits always do...

Comment

.....the same annoying way as Brits always do...
                              I have to ask the question why you bother to sign up to a forum about British cinema and TV if you find Brits so "annoying". I suggest you leave your rabble-rousing on a Finnish forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X