Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Picnic at Hanging Rock (2018) & Request..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picnic at Hanging Rock (2018) & Request..

What did you think? I thought it was absolutely bobbins! you can't meddle with a true masterpiece, and the 1975 film was just that. There was a few cool effects in there and Samara Weaving looked gorgeous throughout, but it's just a totally pointless rehashing and expansion of the film adaptation. I thought it would have been much bolder to have switched the time period, and set it in say the 1960s or even 1970s, at least that would have added a fresh perspective to it, whilst still keeping the naivety and innocence of the novel.

REQUEST: I've been in love with the original film adaptation of PaHR for years and always like discovering films of a similar feel and atmosphere, it'd be great if some of the more older heads on here could recommend anything they've seen that evokes similar visuals to that in PaHR. Some of my picks are: The Virgin Suicides (2000), Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970), Elvira Madigan (1967), Jonathan (1970), Innocence (2004), Cries & Whispers (1972).

Coleridge

It’s not a rehashing and expansion of the film adaptation. It’s based firmly on the original novel and will present more of that content than a film was able to do.

I doubt whether it will be able to match the film on an artistic level, but that’s a whole different argument.

(bobbins?)
    Last edited by narabdela; 14th July 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coleridge View Post
      REQUEST: I've been in love with the original film adaptation of PaHR for years and always like discovering films of a similar feel and atmosphere, it'd be great if some of the more older heads on here could recommend anything they've seen that evokes similar visuals to that in PaHR. Some of my picks are: The Virgin Suicides (2000), Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970), Elvira Madigan (1967), Jonathan (1970), Innocence (2004), Cries & Whispers (1972). Coleridge
      I'm biased I know, but I'd highly recommend Walkabout (1970) as it would fit the 'feel' you're looking for, as well as being one of the greatest films ever made. Also Badlands (1973). As you're not averse to foreign films, try Bergman 's other historical feast Fanny och Alexander (1982) - try the edited film version first, but also the magnificent Persona (1966), another masterpiece to rank along the greatest films, also try anything by Russian director Tarkovsky. If you like Valerie try two other Czech films, Marketa Lazarová (1967) and a personal favourite of mine, Sedmikrásky (1966).
      Last edited by agutterfan; 14th July 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
        It’s not a rehashing and expansion of the film adaptation. It’s based firmly on the original novel and will present more of that content than a film was able to do.

I doubt whether it will be able to match the film on an artistic level, but that’s a whole different argument.

(bobbins?)
        With a running time of 6 hours? come on! the original novel was only 212 pages, most of which has already taken place in the first episode. You might argue even the film was a little verbose in parts, I personally think quarter of an hour could have been shaved off it to help with the pace of the story. It'll be interesting to see which ending they go with though, they might even introduce their own at this rate. 6 hours, really????

Bobbins (of cotton) = Rotten

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post

I'm biased I know, but I'd highly recommend Walkabout (1970) as it would fit the 'feel' you're looking for, as well as being one of the greatest films ever made. Also Badlands (1973). As you're not averse to foreign films, try Bergman 's other historical feast Fanny och Alexander (1982) - try the edited film version first, but also the magnificent Persona (1966), another masterpiece to rank along the greatest films, also try anything by Russian director Tarkovsky. If you like Valerie try two other Czech films, Marketa Lazarová (1967) and a personal favourite of mine, Sedmikrásky (1966).
          Marketa Lazarová (1967) Sedmikrásky (1966) Liking those two, Agutta! thanks

Comment

Working...
          X