Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Doctor Who - The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who - The Woman Who Fell to Earth

No spoilers. But I’d just like to say that Jodie’s first outing as the first female Doctor was surprising, shocking in parts, but very entertaining.

Steve

I wanted to like it and I had no beef with a female Doctor ( I wanted Tilda Swinton though) but I thought it was awful. It was like Hollyoaks does Sc-Fi. Badly acted and I found Whitaker really annoying.

Comment

I thought it was a lot better than much of the material Steven Moffat gave us. But I still don't see the narrative point in changing the Doctor into a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
        I thought it was a lot better than much of the material Steven Moffat gave us.
        What, like “Blink” (the first appearance of The Weeping Angels) or “The Empty Child” (“Are you my Mummy?)

IMHO Steven is the best writer at the BBC at the moment. Although he was only average as the show runner. He should have stuck to writing.

Steven also gave us the brilliant “Press Gang” & “Coupling”

Steve

Comment

Turned on TV to watch Countryfile only to discover it was on earlier today to accommodate Doctor Who. Oh well, never mind... so watched the last fifteen minutes or so of the latter. Hopefully the rest of it was better.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post
            I wanted to like it and I had no beef with a female Doctor ( I wanted Tilda Swinton though) but I thought it was awful. It was like Hollyoaks does Sc-Fi. Badly acted and I found Whitaker really annoying.
            It reminded me of Hollyoaks too. I said that after watching it for 5 minutes, then I stopped watching.

I also thought her character was annoying, all that running around was irritating. But like I said, I only watchd for 5 minutes so maybe the rest was better.
            Last edited by Faginsgirl; 8th October 2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post

It reminded me of Hollyoaks too. I said that after watching it for 5 minutes, then I stopped watching.

I also thought her character was annoying, all that running around was irritating. But like I said, I only watchd for 5 minutes so maybe the rest was better.
              I accept that whoever is playing the Doctor role is meant to ham it up and chew the scenery, but this portrayal was just too OTT for me I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                No spoilers. But I’d just like to say that Jodie’s first outing as the first female Doctor was surprising, shocking in parts, but very entertaining.

Steve
                I agree

Not a spoiler here but did anyone noticed........

Apart from a very short music theme in the train itself there was no DrWho beginning credits with the cast and main music theme? like they always did in the past very strange!

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

I agree

Not a spoiler here but did anyone noticed........

Apart from a very short music theme in the train itself there was no DrWho beginning credits with the cast and main music theme? like they always did in the past very strange!
                  I think there will be a title sequence as from episode two. The theme music at the end was a big improvement on the last version; this one's got the Delia Derbyshire version of the melody and even included the original middle eight.

Comment

Oh it could have been so much worse. Any opening chapter with a new line-up has to spend time establishing character etc, which leaves less room for an over-challenging plot... sure enough we got a fairly formulaic, necessarily Earthbound storyline. I'm not fussed about the gender change, other than it would have been nice to have happened sooner in the show's history and my personal preference would still have been for someone much older (I still think there's a parallel universe somewhere with the fabulous Miriam Margolyes as the 13th Doctor).

All of that said, Jodie made a good fist of it on the whole - a degree of scenery chewing and wide-eyed, breathless running about and confusion is standard fare these days for any immediately post-regeneration debut. A promising new Doctor (but a truly awful costume) however... one thing troubled me. Deeply troubled me. There was a brief chunk of dialogue in which our new hero(ine) clearly, unequivocally said (I can hardly bring myself to accept this): "I would of". Yes, I know. From the most learned and cerebrally gifted being in the known cosmos. It was without doubt an of, not a have. Unmistakable. Unforgivable. That's it. There's no going back on that one.

They've blown it!

Comment

Steven Moffat would never have made such a crazy grammatical slip

Steve

Comment

I wonder if anyone knows if they still use electric trains with the old pull down windows and turn handles in Wales?

Because they used one in this episode and was supposed to be travelling to Sheffield when in fact it was filmed at The Barry Tourist Railway in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7542168...ef_=tt_ql_dt_5
                        Last edited by Metro1962; 11th October 2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
                          I wonder if anyone knows if they still use electric trains with the old pull down windows and turn handles in Wales?
                          You mean that they don’t have them everywhere?

They did the last time I went on a train (but that was some time ago)

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X