Film 2019 cancelled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film 2019 cancelled

It seems that the BBC's Film programme has come to the end of its 48 year run.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46694568

Nick

Well, after Bazza, I thought JR did a good job but it's been poorly treated by Auntie since, IIRC...

Comment

There's still an occasional film programme on BBC Radio4, but it's rarely very good

Steve

Comment

I like Mark Kermode's one on BBC News 24...

Comment

I always listen to Simon Mayo's movie review show, I think it's Radio 2 but I get the downloads. Mark Kermode is the 'professional critic' but even so, it is both informative and entertaining, there interviews, all Mayo, thank goodness, are also very good.

Comment

It was just not the same after Barry Norman left. I never warmed to Ross or Winklepicker in the chair.
            Mark Kermode would have been tailor made for the role, the BBC can be very short sighted sometimes.

Comment

I am not entirely surprised - it was like the programme had been left on an icefloe to die. It was shown very late, with little trailing, and it sort of just disappeared. The time slot was, surprisingly, not much different to that of 40 years ago, but it just got lost in the shuffle.

The format is fine as it is, but they do need a good strong presenter - Kermode would have been great, but he went with the Observer and his R2/BBC News slots. Which means he's kind of the official BBC reviewer. To some extent times have changed - in the seventies, you would have to often wait an age before a film came out in the UK after being released in the States. Do you remember whole programmes about what TV programmes etc were happening in the US?

Now, I can find out stuff about films in production from any number of websites, twitter feeds, podcasts, etc. Its just not as exciting. I actually like The Film Programme, but its only 30 minutes long and isnt quite the same. BTW - KCRW' The Business is excellent, and you can stream it.

They need to put it on BBC4, have a decent presenter, and do a proper mix of items. Nothing fancy, but that would work. They could even keep the name.

The BBC has largely neglected its film coverage. Kermodes series was great, and Neil Brand's was good as well, but there is a lot more they could do, not least because they have a vast archive.

Comment

All bbc are interested in is EastEnders nothing else. I agree with the vast archive but what are they doing with it, nothing. Spending licence payers money on a new set for EastEnders that’s all they can do. A waste of money.

Comment

All bbc are interested in is EastEnders nothing else. I agree with the vast archive but what are they doing with it, nothing. Spending licence payers money on a new set for EastEnders that’s all they can do. A waste of money.
                  Actually, the Eastenders set upgrade was long overdue. It was meant to only last two years (although the spec might have been 15, according to one source) when the soap started in 1984, and has actually lasted 34! When I lived in Borehamwood about 17 years ago, my wife and I drove down a side street and suddenly realised we were passing the studio and caught a glimpse of the set - almost as exciting as actually hearing the crowd outside the Big Brother House from our front door!

Considering how many people watch the series, and the fake bricks/wooden facades, its amazing they havent done it sooner. But as you can see, the site is really tight, there is only so much space to expand, and there must be a lot of groundwork etc that probably complicates matters. And its a working studio. Hence the cost overrun.
                  Last edited by Bonekicker; 10th January 2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X