Agatha Raisin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agatha Raisin

A mate of mine sent me a DVD of this series one and series two. How was this series received in the U.K? I, myself enjoyed this series.

never heard of it . but it is a SKY ONE satelite show ,
    is it like murder she wrote uk ?
    You have to understand UK is divided in half by SKY or not to SKY camps .

Last edited by AlecLeamas; 29th July 2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
      A mate of mine sent me a DVD of this series one and series two. How was this series received in the U.K? I, myself enjoyed this series.
      I quite enjoyed it. Cheap and cheerful second division stuff but I do like Ashley Jensen.

Comment

Originally posted by cully View Post

I quite enjoyed it. Cheap and cheerful second division stuff but I do like Ashley Jensen.
        I thought of it as a sort of second division Midsommer Murders. I wasn't keen but my other half quite likes it.

Comment

I read the Agatha Raisin novels by M.C. Beaton (who also wrote the Hamish Macbeth novels) and thought of Agatha as being less attractive and more mutton-dressed-as-lamb. Ashley Jensen isn't quite how I imagined Agatha, but that's not a criticism - she's different, not better or worse. Yes, Agatha Raisin does have a village feel of Midsomer Murders.

It's a shame that it isn't available to a wider audience (ie on a non-Sky channel). I saw the first series while we still had a Sky subscription. I'm not sure I like it enough to buy the DVDs - that's where libraries are useful for borrowing a copy for once-only viewing, but DVD loans are not something that libraries seem to do as much now, especially of TV programmes as opposed to big-budget (often American) films.

Comment

It was a long-running series on BBC Radio 4 with Penelope Keith, but none of them are available for listening at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01...episodes/guide

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
              It was a long-running series on BBC Radio 4 with Penelope Keith, but none of them are available for listening at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01...episodes/guide

Nick
              I've never read the novels but am a librarian and fans of the books told me they disliked the Radio 4 version and found Penelope Keith miscast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post

Nick
                Heads phones on, sit back with a cup of tea, and relax ....

http://www.clublockyer.com/britfilm/...raisin0105.mp3
                Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 31st July 2019, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Fryer View Post

I've never read the novels but am a librarian and fans of the books told me they disliked the Radio 4 version and found Penelope Keith miscast.
                  She’s absolutely bloody perfect in the role!

Although R4 didn’t continue with the radio series, Keith was kept on as Agatha’s voice for readings of the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Beard View Post

She’s absolutely bloody perfect in the role!

Although R4 didn’t continue with the radio series, Keith was kept on as Agatha’s voice for readings of the books.
                    Interesting how people get a mental image of their favourite literary characters. I quite liked the first two Jack Reacher films with Tom Cruise but I spoke to a lot of fans of the books who were aghast at his casting.

Comment

Working...
                    X