New programme, old idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New programme, old idea

Recently I was thinking about the old series Emergency – Ward 10. It was set in a hospital and broadcast on ITV between 1957 and 1967.

Years later you had the programme Casualty. Nowadays "casualty" in hospital terms is referred to as Accident and Emergency. How long before we get a programme of that name?

When I saw the first series of the excellent Black Mirror, it reminded me of many of the old TV series with a dark theme that had a twist in the tail/tale.

Have any other programmes along those lines occurred to you?

Its almost impossible to make a boring programme not set in a hospital, which is why both fictional and documentary series set in hospitals turn up so often. Dr Kildare, ER, St Elsewhere, Chicago Hope, New Amsterdam (which I must watch on Prime), etc. There was an ITV series called A & E, which I think changed its name slightly. And there are loads of hospital documentaries - 24 Hours in A & E is excellent, the BBC has Hospital and Ambulence (both very good), an Channel 5 has a GP series which is actually pretty good, even though its on C5.

Hospital dramas, documentaries set in airports, crime dramas which consist of a group of slightly maverick detectives each with their own quirks, who are led by a boss with their own foibles/demons.

There are endless programmes about police, which stretch from the BBC's high class 'The Met', through police Interceptors (which my wife likes to watch) to the sort of stuff that makes the US series COPS look good.

There are lots of variations on themes for game shows, Saturday Night white floor shows (getting that right is the Holy Grail), and lots of 'slice of life' documentaries - with enough editing, even driving a truck down the M1 suddenly looks like the most exciting thing ever.

Black Mirror does seem very inventive, but of course its in the tradition of dystopian/SF/satirical programmes thats been on for a long time. The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, plays by Nigel Kneale might all have some similarities.

If there are supposedly only essentially seven drama plots, then its no surprise that programmes often use the same sort of settings - the challenge is making them different enough so we will watch them!

Comment

I find these things so tedious - ditto Angels etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
        Its almost impossible to make a boring programme not set in a hospital, which is why both fictional and documentary series set in hospitals turn up so often. Dr Kildare, ER, St Elsewhere, Chicago Hope, New Amsterdam (which I must watch on Prime), etc. There was an ITV series called A & E, which I think changed its name slightly. And there are loads of hospital documentaries - 24 Hours in A & E is excellent, the BBC has Hospital and Ambulence (both very good), an Channel 5 has a GP series which is actually pretty good, even though its on C5.
        Not forgetting Ben Casey.

Comment

Working...
        X