Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Davies: Looking for Kes (BBC4 at 9pm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Davies: Looking for Kes (BBC4 at 9pm)

GREG DAVIES: LOOKING FOR KES (BBC4 at 9pm)

Telegraph: This excellent documentary fronted by actor and comedian, Greg Davies, explores Barry Hines's 1968 novel, A Kestrel for a Knave.
    There are revealing interviews with Hines's brother and celebrity fans such as Jarvis Cocker, plus lovely background details on Ken Loach's celebrated film.

KES: REIMAGINED (BBC4 at 10pm)

Kes: Reimagined retells Loach's film with puppetry and dance.

Not much mention of Barry Hines, late author of A Kestrel For A Knave, apparently...

We "did" the book at school but I can't recall much about it. I remember a bit more about the film but not much.

Comment

I stumbled into that programme. Not usually much of a fan of Greg but it was interesting and entertaining.

I didn't bother with the second programme. The idea of the quintessential, gritty, northern drama being portrayed through interpretative dance was just to funny.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        Not much mention of Barry Hines, late author of A Kestrel For A Knave, apparently...

We "did" the book at school but I can't recall much about it. I remember a bit more about the film but not much.
        Apart from the archived interviews with Barry, talking to his wives/widow and loads of people who knew him.

Maybe you should read the book again and then watch the film again. I would also suggest that you read some of his other books like The Gamekeeper and The Price of Coal.

It’s a great book and a great film. As Ken Loach said, the writer is the most important person in the making of a film. Without a good story, the director plays very little part in it

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ps68060 View Post
          I didn't bother with the second programme. The idea of the quintessential, gritty, northern drama being portrayed through interpretative dance was just to funny.
          It’s a shame you didn’t bother with it. It was actually quite well done. Yes, a gritty, northern drama being portrayed through interpretative dance seems like a funny idea but it was really quite good. They included all of the main plot points although the lead dancer was much too old to be playing Billy and they missed one of the best scenes, when Mr Farthing (Colin Welland, himself an ex-teacher) goes to watch Billy fly Kes and then sits in the shed with him.

Steve

Comment

Colin Welland moved to my home town during the war. My dad is a couple of years older but lived in the same street and knew him.

Comment

Working...
            X