BBC Christmas Offering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Christmas Offering.

What a load of rubbish the BBC is showing over Xmas. It really is not doing itself any favours. The sooner the licence fee goes the better. Then let’s see what happens. It really does not deserve the fee at all. It could have shone this Xmas and said look, this is why we are worth the money. But alas it chose not to do this.

Thank goodness for our DVD and Blu-ray collections. I've actually got quite a backlog of discs still to watch, so I won't be short of entertainment while I sit back and enjoy my mince pies and mulled wine over the festive period.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
      What a load of rubbish the BBC is showing over Xmas. . .
      Well Charlotte Moore who controls the billion pound budget says you are wrong.

She has told the newspapers that '[we have] assembled a sensational range of programmes to give viewers a festive season filled with Christmas crackers'.

She said 'we are bringing back some classic favourites . . as well as introducing original new shows too. She says 'there really is no better place to be than watching the BBC this Christmas'.

And —as she says in this interview— she brings us 'stories and ideas which we didn't know we wanted to watch until we watch them'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXcbTMuhTCo

Comment

Thing is, either she and the BBC are arrogant or just have no idea at all. One thing for sure is they are being very complacent. And from what I’ve read other people didn’t know they wanted the offer and when they saw it they found they didn’t. The whole BBC thing is a scandal it really is. It gets worse all the time. Let’s see if Charlotte is right when the viewing figures come out.

Comment

Christmas offerings here In Canada, the same old batch of Christmas movies every year, including The sound of Music. Yes, thankful for thé blue ray DVD player. At least I can view what I want and not depend upon the television stations for my viewing.
          Last edited by Kevinspencer; 8 December 2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Thing is, either she and the BBC are arrogant or just have no idea at all. One thing for sure is they are being very complacent. And from what I’ve read other people didn’t know they wanted the offer and when they saw it they found they didn’t. The whole BBC thing is a scandal it really is. It gets worse all the time. Let’s see if Charlotte is right when the viewing figures come out.
            Whatever they broadcast, the figures won't be as good this year as they were in previous years. There are so many channels or other sources of entertainment now that no one channel gets massive viewing figures

Steve

Comment

Yes Steve I agree, but they aren’t even trying. Th e thing for me is they aren’t worth the licence fee in the slightest. I think it is wrong it has to be paid for something not worth it.

Comment

Yes Steve I agree, but they aren’t even trying. Th e thing for me is they aren’t worth the licence fee in the slightest. I think it is wrong it has to be paid for something not worth it.
                Well, it doesn’t have to be paid. If your TV can’t receive any broadcast signals then you don’t have to pay. But they will probably want to come around and check.

But it how can you say it’s not worth it when there are such gems as The Repair Shop, Saving Lives at Sea, 24 Hours in A&E and many others to watch?

What sorts of things do you want them to show?

Steve

Comment

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Instructional programmes on how to download videos?

• Steve Crook
                  Steve Crook commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or just on how to use that interweb thingy?

Steve

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Antique roadshow on valuable DVD s and why you shouldn't throw them away

What a load of rubbish the BBC is showing over Xmas. It really is not doing itself any favours. The sooner the licence fee goes the better. Then let’s see what happens. It really does not deserve the fee at all. It could have shone this Xmas and said look, this is why we are worth the money. But alas it chose not to do this.
                its looks relatively decent for Christmas - the BBC does spend a lot of time and money on Christmas programming, and still gets a kicking.

The reality is that by and large, other channels cant be bothered, or not all that much. C5 really doesnt bother - last year they showed Morcombe and Wise on Christmas Day, and just buy up sappy US TV movies. C4 makes more of an effort, but nothing like the BBC, and ITV will have some special white floor shows, etc, but nothing major. Even the movies wont be all that new.

The reality is that new programming costs money, and with so many other ways to consume media, Christmas is simply a lot less special. Commercial TV companies know that, which is why they dont bother all that much - it not worth making a really big effort if people are going to watching stuff on catchup, surfing Facebook or have seen the 'big film' already.

The BBC does make an effort, in part because they feel they have to, and because they have a commitment to showing original British content as much as possible in peak time. And that costs.

So we will have a Strictly Special, a Gavin and Stacey one off (getting james Corden is a bit of a coup), Worzel Gummage, A Call the Midwife, etc. They are not doing a new doing a David Walliams this year, but they spending money on docs, dramas and white floor shows. And the new DR Who series kicks off New Years Day. And these all cost a lot more per hour to make than bunging on Philip Schofield in something, a TOWIE Xmas special or all 7 Harry Potter films again. ITV will probably have a Midsommer, but its not exactly pushing the boat out.

The BBC is giving us an MR James and a Lucy Worlsey on BBC4, Christmas Carol looks interesting, as does the Trial of Christine Keeler. . But the BBC cannot simply have all new programming for every hour of every day for three weeks, because that would exhaust budgets for the rest of the year.

The medias reporting of supposed outrage is nothing new, but the idea that people should want the BBC scrapped because a Wallace and Gromit from 1995 is being shown is on bonkers. Put it this way, when I look at this page about the highlights on TV this Christmas, out of the sixteen shows mentioned, the BBC is showing twelve of them. What about the rest? Sky One is showing Cinderella spinoff with David Walliams, and ITV has a Ball and Boe Special, a dective thing and a Robbie Williams special. Thats the problem - what about the others?
                Last edited by Bonekicker; 8 December 2019, 09:32 PM.

Comment

The taxpaying viewers must take what they're given.

The BBC's intellectual elite and their chums decide what is to be given to the taxpaying passive proles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	81355

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

its looks relatively decent for Christmas - the BBC does spend a lot of time and money on Christmas programming, and still gets a kicking.

The reality is that by and large, other channels cant be bothered...
                    Agreed. It’s the usual knee-jerk anti Beeb moaning. ‘Twas ever thus.

Comment

I haven't seen the offerings yet so I can't comment fully but I used to enjoy it when the Beeb used to keep to a theme on Christmas Eve, Night and Boxing Night of late night films such as Warner Bros Gangster films, or Universal Horror films and the like. I'm sure Steve would enjoy a late night dose of Powell and Pressburger offerings over the Festive Season.

Comment

...a Gavin and Stacey one off (getting james Corden is a bit of a coup)....
                        How much of Charlotte Moore's billion pound kitty was spent on this weighty 'coup'?

Corden's salary is now $7,303,723.00 pa.

Comment

The reality is that new programming costs money, and with so many other ways to consume media, Christmas is simply a lot less special. Commercial TV companies know that, which is why they dont bother all that much - it not worth making a really big effort if people are going to watching stuff on catchup, surfing Facebook or have seen the 'big film' already.
                          The days when families used to gather around the box to watch the Christmas Day film premiere, as used to happen in the 70's/80's with viewing figures at over 20 million plus, are long gone now. Very few people owned videos in those days, and of course Sky didn't exist, so you're right when you say many people will have already seen the "big film".

In my teenage years, I always recall the BBC having the majority of film premieres, while ITV used to wheel out another Bond film as a rule. Great days - I still remember most of the Christmas premieres from the 1980's.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                            Bonekicker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Exactly - ITV would have a Bond film, which was a big deal back in the early eighties, when we got our first video. Now, If you check the excellent Films on Freeview, Spectre was on in September, on ITV2.

Premiers on TV of films just are not what they were - we can buy the DVD/Blu Ray just months after a release, then watch it on Sky or Netflix not that long afterwards. Even the BBC makes their own movies, so they will come to TV at some point. There are whole channels devoted to showing films.

We do watch TV at Christmas, but not the same way - any more than we just sit at home on a Sunday like we did in the seventies, because we dont need to any more.

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                          I haven't seen the offerings yet so I can't comment fully but I used to enjoy it when the Beeb used to keep to a theme on Christmas Eve, Night and Boxing Night of late night films such as Warner Bros Gangster films, or Universal Horror films and the like. I'm sure Steve would enjoy a late night dose of Powell and Pressburger offerings over the Festive Season.
                          Absolutely. They also showed Tarzan films each morning and sometimes Flash Gordon serials, all terrific escapist stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X