The BBC Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BBC Empire

The BBC may have been useful in The Depression, The Blitz and The Decade of Austerity but that's all gone now.

It's now a bloated, self-serving, untrustworthy, multi-platformed megalopolis and it's inappropriate for our digital age.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.png
Views:	353
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	81844

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...t_in_the_press

I’m surprised that you didn’t quote the Daily Hate Mail or one of Murdoch’s rags. They all traditionally all hate the BBC and regularly campaign against it, often with made up “proof” of how wasteful Auntie Beeb is and how much more trustworthy & reliable they are

Comment

... and such an authorative source.

"YouGov figures show ... "

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the BBC. A lot of quality dramas, comedies and documentaries, but a terrible website which makes it as difficult as possible to find them. I do think they're biased in their political coverage, which I think even they themselves have admitted. But it's easy enough to avoid that. I think the license fee needs some tweaking, because I don't think it's necessarily fair to charge people to fund the BBC if they have any TV at all, what if they don't watch the BBC. But then how would they check who watches and who doesn't. I think it's a good idea having a network not beholden to advertisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamelyn View Post
          I have mixed feelings about the BBC. A lot of quality dramas, comedies and documentaries, but a terrible website which makes it as difficult as possible to find them.
          I find that is the case with numerous websites these days. There was a time when the emphasis was on everything being "user-friendly". Not any more! The website designers go out of their way to create obstacles and make navigation as difficult as they possibly can. It's terribly annoying and frustrating. I can't understand the mindset behind it all.

Comment

• Gamelyn
            Gamelyn commented
            Editing a comment
            I could start a whole thread about the difficulties I've had finding certain radio shows on the BBC's site. You find the page and it's "not available" to listen to, then weeks later you come in from another angle and find the same show as a direct download on a different part of the site.

Mr. Nazreddin does seem to have a bee in his bonnet when it comes to the Beeb.

Maybe he was traumatised by the Flowerpot Men when he was a nipper.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
            Mr. Nazreddin does seem to have a bee in his bonnet when it comes to the Beeb.

Maybe he was traumatised by the Flowerpot Men when he was a nipper.
            Weren't we all!

Comment

Just imagine you bought a washing machine, then you were required to pay a yearly fee for soap powder from the British Soap Conglomerate, when in fact you only use Zingo soap powder. That's what the BBC is like, when you buy your TV. And Mr Crook more or less says, well, I don't mind paying for the BBC, so nobody else should! The concept of a state TV service should have gone out with fascism and communism.

I also objected to having to pay a precept in my London council tax for the Olympic Games. It was no different. I didn't like sport. Why should I have had to support the government's Olympics megalomania? The public doesn't get taxed to support my hobby and Coinex (coin fair in London). Why should I subsidise the boring sports lovers? They can spend their own money on it. Why does sport need to be nationalised?

And in fact, though I do not own a TV, I do have a licence, automatically paid for by direct debit year on year. That's because I wouldn't want the licence people not believing that I don't have a TV and wanting to barge into my home, which they are known to do. Very Orwellian!

So because I do buy a licence, I have watched "Years and Years", the Jeremy Thorpe drama, and a few Thatcher documentaries. Otherwise I watch YouTube and read newspapers online. I don't actually need the BBC and wouldn't have it. Being more or less forced to buy a licence, I have therefore watched those few BBC programmes and therefore helped create an artificial demand for the BBC. It's catch-22. And all implemented and enforced by the state. The BBC should have been allowed to die in the 1990s, but obviously the state sees a need for it, despite its occasional displeasure with the Beeb.

Quality? Well, if you're in the TV programme making business, you will learn about quality and do it. That's all part of being professional. I just don't want to have to be forced to pay for the BBC's professionalism when I can make other choices. And the BBC doesn't just have a couple of stations or channels, so I have to subsidise its whole glorified little empire.

Comment

I love the BBC. We pay a licence fee because we don't have adverts and are not reminded about what we have just watched after every break like on commercial television. With great TV productions such as His Dark Materials and The Capture we have a wonderful uninterrupted narratives to enjoy. Its only £15.00 a month or something isn't it? Hardly breaking the bank. By all means lets get rid of it and revert to as channel with adverts. Is that what people really want?

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
                  Just imagine you bought a washing machine, then you were required to pay a yearly fee for soap powder from the British Soap Conglomerate, when in fact you only use Zingo soap powder. That's what the BBC is like, when you buy your TV.

I also objected to having to pay a precept in my London council tax for the Olympic Games. It was no different. I didn't like sport. Why should I have had to support the government's Olympics megalomania?
                  It's called "democracy".

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post
                    I love the BBC. We pay a licence fee because we don't have adverts and are not reminded about what we have just watched after every break like on commercial television. With great TV productions such as His Dark Materials and The Capture we have a wonderful uninterrupted narratives to enjoy. Its only £15.00 a month or something isn't it? Hardly breaking the bank. By all means lets get rid of it and revert to as channel with adverts. Is that what people really want?
                    To be fair, I don't think the issue is so much whether or not it's worth the money, it's the fact that you're required to have a licence in order to watch live TV irrespective of whether you tune in to BBC channels. Personally, I'd rather they opted for a subscription model like Sky, or advertising if it means abolishing the licence. Just my tuppence worth......

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
                      And Mr Crook more or less says, well, I don't mind paying for the BBC, so nobody else should!
                      When did I say anything like that?

I also objected to having to pay a precept in my London council tax for the Olympic Games.
                      I don’t like sport either but I didn’t object to paying the precept. It’s called “sharing”. I’m sure that there are many things that other people pay for that benefit you.

This is appears to be a general pointless whinge.

There are are some things that you have to pay for even though they don’t benefit you directly. It isn’t communism or fascism. It’s just life. If they checked who would benefit before making every or any charge then the admin cost of doing that would outweigh any benefit.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Gamelyn View Post
                        I have mixed feelings about the BBC. A lot of quality dramas, comedies and documentaries, but a terrible website which makes it as difficult as possible to find them. I do think they're biased in their political coverage, which I think even they themselves have admitted. But it's easy enough to avoid that. I think the license fee needs some tweaking, because I don't think it's necessarily fair to charge people to fund the BBC if they have any TV at all, what if they don't watch the BBC. But then how would they check who watches and who doesn't. I think it's a good idea having a network not beholden to advertisers.
                        They could use the mythical TV detector vans.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=8NmdUcmLFkw

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                          I’m surprised that you didn’t quote the Daily Hate Mail or one of Murdoch’s rags. They all traditionally all hate the BBC and regularly campaign against it, often with made up “proof” of how wasteful Auntie Beeb is and how much more trustworthy & reliable they are
                          They are all establishment media outlets playing the old routine of good cop, bad cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                            I don’t like sport either but I didn’t object to paying the precept. It’s called “sharing”. I’m sure that there are many things that other people pay for that benefit you.
                            Yes, and which I also pay for through my taxes - very useful and beneficial things such as the NHS and child benefit (I am childless).

"This is appears to be a general pointless whinge."

Pointless it is not - I made many points to back up my views, whereas you don't and just rely on fluffy generalised "sharing". And a "whinge", no - that is a loaded and biased term because you disagree with me.

"There are are some things that you have to pay for even though they don’t benefit you directly."

Agreed, but they are mostly worthwhile, like keeping children fed and maintaining the infrastructure in Wales. But people are quite capable of maintaining their own sports clubs and financing their own sports activities. Most of us don't see the need to run around a track and get back to where we started from or to kick a ball back and forwards across a field. And in fact most people don't, especially after a certain age - they prefer to flop in a chair and watch others doing it.

I regard sport as war by other means, because it is competitive. Look at the racist chants at international matches. Look at the pressure the sportsmen and women (and children) in non-democratic countries (and even democratic ones) are put under to train for the Olympics. And then there's all the drugs and cheating with hormones and bullying. A national Olympics is totally unnecessary.

I'm all in favour of subsidising worthwhile projects with a definite benefit. But the general benefits must be strictly defined and real - not just entertainment for a minority of the population. Public parks benefit people in a way that football matches, with their hugely overpaid footballers, do not. Let the sports lovers pay for their likes,

"If they checked who would benefit before making every or any charge then the admin cost of doing that would outweigh any benefit."

Oh, so you should never do any due diligence - just hand over money for anybody's plea for fluffy sharing? That's why I think my coin hobby (Coinex, etc.) should not be subsidised but stand on its own feet. So yes, we should indeed make checks as to whether something is necessary and widely beneficial. Free sports shows are a minority interest and not a necessity, and they should not be subsidised by every adult Londoner while TV channels etc. make profits out of them .

Comment

Working...
                            X