Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

New Dr Who

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

That's because the Bible tells us He created "man" in His own image.
    "The Bible", written by people

'Man' = 'human(s)'

Steve

Comment

He was created as a Time Lord, not a Time Lady.
      But Time Lords can change appearance, so why not sex? Missy was The Master...

Comment

What many people do not get is Dr Who has NO GENDER!! So makes a nice change.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
          What many people do not get is Dr Who has NO GENDER!! So makes a nice change.
          Daily Mail is already leading with her previous nude appearance in The Smoke, so they have noticed Jodie's gender!

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

Daily Mail is already leading with her previous nude appearance in The Smoke, so they have noticed Jodie's gender!
            Obviously the actor or actress has a gender but not the character!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

Typical of the Daily Hate Mail

Steve

Comment

Daily Mail - Outrage vs Nude shots? Both, of course....

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                  Yes, they show loads of (semi) nude photos, then they pretend to be outraged by them

Still, it's all good for click-bait ad revenue generation

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

"The Bible", written by people
                    Precisely why I reject religious beliefs.

'Man' = 'human(s)'

Steve
                    Women didn't count back then. We were just an afterthought when God realised Adam needed a playmate.

Comment

Best Hamlet I've seen in recent years was Maxine Peake.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

IMO the po-faced, jug-eared, totally uncharismatic Daniel Craig was an awful choice for Bond. They must have been desperate to pick him.
                        Not just your opinion, Shirl - mine too. The franchise thankfully survives despite him IMO - although "Skyfall" was terrific I thought. Just imagine how much better it could have been with a great 007.

The thing is, so many of us get a pre-conceived template into our heads and when casting strays from that remit some folks are angry, disappointed or both. Bond "should" be tall, dark and handsome - Craig is none of those things - result: trouble!

Ditto Doctor Who, where those of us who grew up with the series got used to him changing every few years, but also got used to him always being a fellow. The character isn't human but alien, so in theory there's no reason he shouldn't regenerate into a she. Or a child. Or a black person. Or a dwarf. We got used to him being humanoid, but if all bets are off because "Time Lords are aliens", he could in theory come back as a cat. Why not?

I'm disappointed at the choice of the new Doctor. Not because of the gender - although after twelve males there was no particular reason to change from that pattern - if it was to happen, it should, perhaps, have happened sooner and more than once - that would have set a more credible tone for the random jumble that is regeneration. But it didn't, which inevitably now leads to charges of "political correctness", "tokenism" etc. I think there's an element of "garden shed" syndrome at play here...in an age when we are being told there are no role models for disaffected young lads, here's one of the last male preserves being feminised. Hell, most girls and women have derided the show as silly and childish for decades. Moffat has been on an obvious crusade to soften us up for this since he took over the show, with frequent overplaying of the "useless male" card, ensuring that a pointedly disproportionate number of key powerful characters were female, even testing the water with a female Master (why does she call herself "Missy"? why not "The Master"?) - by the way, not everyone willingly accepted her as a credible or decent Master. Personally I thought she was great. But it's been apparent that a female Doctor was a-coming for ages now, and once Moffat announced he was leaving at the same time as Capaldi, I just knew what he'd want to leave as his calling card for posterity.

So why am I disappointed? in a word, ageism. Imagine how fabulous Miriam Margolyes would be as The Doctor. Alas, the sickening trend of youthful, shallow glamour strikes again. Jodie Whittaker is just far too damn young and telegenic. Oh for the days of elderly yet childish Doctors. Troughton was no pin-up but his crinkly face and old tramp's clothing coupled with his kid's haircut and pockets full of gobstoppers was just brilliant. I'd rather have an older, scatty female Doctor than a young, square jawed, matinee idol male one. I always thought Peter Davison nearly wrecked the franchise, whereas Margaret Rutherford would have been marvellous.
                        Last edited by Tonch; 18th July 2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                          Why? Does Dr Who have a sex? He rarely really flirts with anyone, male or female
                          What next? A black Dr Who has been spoken of for some time in the fan areana
                          There are lots of other places they can go.

Steve
                          Didn't he have - or almost have - a fling with a being that was partly a tree in one episode? Or is it my over-heated imagination? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by zither View Post

Didn't he have - or almost have - a fling with a being that was partly a tree in one episode? Or is it my over-heated imagination? :-)
                            Yes, hardly a "fling" but certainly a flirtation.
                            But I said "He rarely really flirts"

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                              Imagine how fabulous Miriam Margolyes would be as The Doctor. Alas, the sickening trend of youthful, shallow glamour strikes again. Jodie Whittaker is just far too damn young and telegenic. Oh for the days of elderly yet childish Doctors. Troughton was no pin-up but his crinkly face and old tramp's clothing coupled with his kid's haircut and pockets full of gobstoppers was just brilliant. I'd rather have an older, scatty female Doctor than a young, square jawed, matinee idol male one. I always thought Peter Davison nearly wrecked the franchise, whereas Margaret Rutherford would have been marvellous.
                              I have nothing against Ms Whittaker and wish her well but the producers missed a trick, IMO, in not casting her Broadchurch costar Olivia Coleman, who embodies many of the qualities you have indicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                                The Guardian now weighs in with their own version of 'outrage' over the Mail and Sun printing nude pictures of Ms Whittaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X