White House Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House Farm

Link to trailer for new itv 6-part drama about the Jeremy Bamber Murders in 1985 at a rural farm in Essex.

Being shown on TV from January 8th 2020.

https://youtu.be/F2PaEgVzLac

Anyone else being absorbed by this top-notch drama ?

The acting is very good, particularly by Gemma Whelan, who plays Jeremy's cousin, I couldn't place her at first, then realised she played Karen Matthews (excellently) in the 'The Moorside'.
    Last edited by Mark O; 24 January 2020, 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

She's a very good. I've watched her over the past few years in End of the F*****g World, Game of Thrones, Upstart Crow and The Moorside. She has chameleon like quality's as an actress.

Comment

I'm more impressed by Mark Addy, as the DS who doesn't believe Bamber's initial story

But it's always difficult when we already know the outcome

Steve

Comment

Yes it's a good performance. I'm not a fan of Addy usually (out of his depth in Game of Thrones) but he's good in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            I'm more impressed by Mark Addy, as the DS who doesn't believe Bamber's initial story

But it's always difficult when we already know the outcome

Steve
            Agreed, though I've only seen him in this and The Full Monty, I've never seen Game of Thrones, ancient times set fantasy stuff isn't really my cuppa........

As for the outcome, is it really all over ?.......

Jeremy swears blind he is innocent of the murders, even undergoing a lie detector test in recent years (which he passed 100%).........

I've never loaded a rifle so I can't say if it would put pressure on fingernails (or chip nail varnish), I'm aware there have many cases of patricide over the years, but killing two innocent little kiddies ?, however 'oddball' a person may be (and self-centered), would he really have gone so berserk so as to actually pull the trigger ?.........

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
              Jeremy swears blind he is innocent of the murders, even undergoing a lie detector test in recent years (which he passed 100%).........
              A lie detector is about as reliable as asking the man in the moon or casting runes. Despite their continued use in TV shows & films, especially American ones, they have long been inadmissible in UK courts

​​​​​​ Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

A lie detector is about as reliable as asking the man in the moon or casting runes. Despite their continued use in TV shows & films, especially American ones, they have long been inadmissible in UK courts

​​​​​​ Steve
                'Casting runes', I had to look that one up, lol........

Looks an interesting, if far-fetched practice, it's true one learns something new every day !........

If Jeremy had done it, it would have been in his interests to admit as much, as he could have been (potentially) released by the time he gets to 70 (I'm not saying he should be for one minute, I might add), instead of serving the whole life tariff.

Harry Roberts killed three police officers in cold blood, yet he has been released.......

Comment

Lie detectors are inadmissible in a number of US states as well Steve,
                  As for Bamber, he is serving a whole life tariff, so unless in the unlikelihood he is found to have been a victim of a miscarriage of justice, he will remain locked up.
                  The evidence against Bamber while often circumstantial, is though compelling.

1) he had already talked to his then girlfriend Julie Mugford about murdering his family for the inheritance.
                  2) There is no evidence that Sheila Caffell knew how to operate the rifle, or if she was able to use it, to reload with the practised frequency needed to commit the crime.
                  3) Neville Bamber was battered with the rifle before being shot. He was a large man and stood about 6'4, would the slightly built Sheila really be able to subdue him in a fight, even using the rifle as a club, would she have had the strength?
                  4) If Sheila turned the gun on herself, why where two shots fired? The first shot went through her throat and if not killing her, would surely have incapacitated her.
                  5) If she murdered her family and herself, how did the murder weapon come to be neatly replaced in a cupboard?
                  Last edited by Tigon Man; 26 January 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I wonder how accurate the portrayal of the Welsh detective (Mark Addy's boss) is. Did he really not consider that the events at the farm might not be murder/suicide and that they should preserve all the evidence until they were *certain* that the culprit wasn't someone from outside. Did he keep his job in the light of what was later discovered? Was his mistake understandable or career-limiting?

Comment

Originally posted by martinu View Post
                      I wonder how accurate the portrayal of the Welsh detective (Mark Addy's boss) is. Did he really not consider that the events at the farm might not be murder/suicide and that they should preserve all the evidence until they were *certain* that the culprit wasn't someone from outside. Did he keep his job in the light of what was later discovered? Was his mistake understandable or career-limiting?
                      The actual event happened in August 1985. That’s now 35 years ago. A lot has changed since then, including police procedures.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by martinu View Post
                        As I recall he was due to retire shortly (at the time), so probably didn't want to get in involved in a long, drawn-out investigation

Comment

Working...
                        X