Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet

Yesterday on Channel 4 from 22:00-23:00

An interesting programme but they should have got someone else to present it.

George Monbiot is generally a good reporter & presenter but this one was to show how much land is wasted on cows & other livestock. He’s hardly unbiased.

When he he went to meet some scientists in (I think it was) Denmark, who were creating a meat substitute protein, they cooked him an omelette. George then said (something to the effect of) I could eat one of those every morning. I defy anyone to point out any difference between that and an omelette made with eggs.

Said dedicated vegan George - who hasn’t eaten an egg, or anything made from an egg, for years, if ever.

Steve

George Monbiot is generally a good reporter & presenter
    Monbiot can be very good, but he can also be a bit earnest and sometimes gets stuff in his head which isnt entirely warrented . He got very enthusiastic by 'biochar' a couple of years ago, followed by a sudden interest in cargo carrying airships (something that has done the rounds on a roughly five year cycle since at least the sixties) without thinking why they are called 'lighter than air'), and then he went hard for nuclear.

Livestock does use a lot of land and a lot of food to make a smaller amount of protein. But perhaps another face to tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
      Livestock does use a lot of land and a lot of food to make a smaller amount of protein. But perhaps another face to tell us?
      I agree, I thought that was the main point I was making

Steve

Comment

A dictionary says the word 'apocalypse' denotes 'the complete and final destruction of the world.

Comment

There was a phone-in on Radio 2 the other day, some bloke wanted all farming abolished........

Not a thought or mention for people who's livelihoods depend on the food-chain, from farm workers to restaurant staff and checkout-girls (including me).........

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
            There was a phone-in on Radio 2 the other day, some bloke wanted all farming abolished........

Not a thought or mention for people who's livelihoods depend on the food-chain, from farm workers to restaurant staff and checkout-girls (including me).........
            Are you identifying as a girl now Mark?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Are you identifying as a girl now Mark?

Steve
              Garth seems to think I am Steve, lol.........

Yes, I can see how my comment could be interpreted, maybe I should have put (including me) after the term food-chain........

The point I'm making is it's very well for do-gooders to say (on the wireless and TV) 'ban this, restrict that, abolish the other', but hey, just think of the knock-on effect all this potential, well-meaning could inflict on peoples livelihoods, trouble is they (the do-gooders) don't wish to to, they have closed minds........

Comment

...they have closed minds........
                I think I'm going to have the above framed and given pride of place on the wall of my smallest room!

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

I think I'm going to have the above framed and given pride of place on the wall of my smallest room!
                  Lol, your comment made me laugh.......

I don't really like labels, but yes, I pride myself on being a freethinker !............

Comment

I don't really like labels, but yes, I pride myself on being a freethinker !............
                    Mark, have you ever looked up "freethinker" in your dictionary? You've said this several times before, but I'm not sure it's what you mean. It's mainly associated with attitude towards religion.

"The term first came into use in the 17th century in order to indicate people who inquired into the basis of traditional religious beliefs. In practice, freethinking is most closely linked with secularism, atheism, agnosticism, anti-clericalism, and religious critique. The Oxford English Dictionary defines freethinking as, "The free exercise of reason in matters of religious belief, unrestrained by deference to authority; the adoption of the principles of a free-thinker." Freethinkers hold that knowledge should be grounded in facts, scientific inquiry, and logic. The skeptical application of science implies freedom from the intellectually limiting effects of confirmation bias, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, or sectarianism." ~Wikipedia

I think you probably mean you are open-minded but that would be wrong, too. You have demonstrated many times in this forum that your mind is shut firmly against any opinions that differ from yours even when based on facts, overwhelming evidence, and logic.
                    Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 13th January 2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I think people wandering off-topic again.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Mark, have you ever looked up "freethinker" in your dictionary? You've said this several times before, but I'm not sure it's what you mean. It's mainly associated with attitude towards religion.

"The term first came into use in the 17th century in order to indicate people who inquired into the basis of traditional religious beliefs. In practice, freethinking is most closely linked with secularism, atheism, agnosticism, anti-clericalism, and religious critique. The Oxford English Dictionary defines freethinking as, "The free exercise of reason in matters of religious belief, unrestrained by deference to authority; the adoption of the principles of a free-thinker." Freethinkers hold that knowledge should be grounded in facts, scientific inquiry, and logic. The skeptical application of science implies freedom from the intellectually limiting effects of confirmation bias, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, or sectarianism." ~Wikipedia

I think you probably mean you are open-minded but that would be wrong, too. You have demonstrated many times in this forum that your mind is shut firmly against any opinions that differ from yours even when based on facts, overwhelming evidence, and logic.
                        No, but I appreciate the explanation.......

I've nothing against anyone's view, it's when they tar people with terms which end in 'ist', and 'ic' (because your opinion and outlook maybe different), that I do not like.......

Comment

George Monbiot said we're in 'crisis' back in in the year 2002.

And he made a prophecy that we will face famine in the year 2012.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/...ristmas.famine

Comment

Working...
                          X