X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garth
    replied
    Originally posted by Robin Davies View Post
    When I was on holiday in Norway a few years ago I noticed that "butikk" was the Norwegian word for "shop".
    So buying a Norwegian Blue parrot "from this very boutique" was not quite as mad as it sounded!
    Yes, those foreigners do twist some words. In Germany "ein Smoking" means a dinner jacket.

Leave a comment:

• garth
    replied
    Are you thinking of Gilbert Harding's interview on Face to Face? He does look a bit like William Hardcastle.
    Gilbert Harding - the very one! And both have 'Hard' in their surname. Another question answered. You're a genius and a telepath.

Leave a comment:

• Robin Davies
    replied
    Originally posted by Tyne View Post
    How appropriate!
    When I was on holiday in Norway a few years ago I noticed that "butikk" was the Norwegian word for "shop".
    So buying a Norwegian Blue parrot "from this very boutique" was not quite as mad as it sounded!

Leave a comment:

• Robin Davies
    replied
    Originally posted by garth View Post
    William Hardcastle - the name rings a bell. Is he the one who wept on some BBC extended one-to-one interview circa 1960, when talking about his parents?
    Are you thinking of Gilbert Harding's interview on Face to Face? He does look a bit like William Hardcastle.

Leave a comment:

• Tyne
    replied
    Norwegian Blu-ray.
    How appropriate!

Leave a comment:

• garth
    replied
    Thank you very much for that excellent piece of information. Robin. For some reason, when reminiscing about this, I concluded that Terry Jones was a bit on the fat side to be throwing himself about like that, but I was wrong! So Graham Chapman was there as well. I think I deserve at least three-quarters of a Nobel Prize for my excellent memory.

William Hardcastle - the name rings a bell. Is he the one who wept on some BBC extended one-to-one interview circa 1960, when talking about his parents?

Leave a comment:

• Robin Davies
    replied
    The programme was called In Vision and was shown on 6 Dec 1974. William Hardcastle was interviewing Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam about the fourth series. The Pythons all had bandages on the left side of their faces and at one point Terry Jones launched himself at Terry Gilliam who fell over the back of his chair. The interview did seem a bit uncomfortable for some reason. An incomplete and damaged off-air recording of the interview is included with series 4 in the recent Norwegian Blu-ray release of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Leave a comment:

• garth
    started a topic Monty Python interview of 1970s with mock brawl

Monty Python interview of 1970s with mock brawl

I remember watching a late night programme in the mid-1970s on BBC2. A couple of the Monty Python team were being interviewed by a rather stout old fellow of about 70, who had a moustache and wore specs, I believe. He asked them whose foot it was in the opening sequence. I thought it was just a cartoon foot, but they said it was actually taken from some classical painting. The interviewer said, "Yes, it's rather a beautiful foot, isn't it?", so back then I was immediately disgusted and thought he must be some kind of foot fetishist.

At some point the two Pythons started mock-brawling. They pulled one another off their chairs and started rolling about on the floor and laughing. I remember that the old interviewer got rather shirty and said, "Come on, boys!", though they were clearly not boys. "Behave yourselves", or "Stop fooling around" or words to that effect. He seemed rather old-fashioned and schoolmasterly at that moment. I can't remember who the Pythons in the interview were, but I would guess Gilliam and Idle. Does anybody remember that interview and who the participants were?
Working...
X