Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a great week for P&P films on TV in the UK next week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's a great week for P&P films on TV in the UK next week

    It's a great week for P&P films on TV in the UK next week

    A Canterbury Tale (1944)
    Saturday 1 Feb @ 17:30 on Talking Pictures TV
    and Friday 7 Feb @ 11:30 also on Talking Pictures TV

    The Red Shoes (1948)
    Monday 3 Feb @ 15:05 on BBC2

    The Small Back Room (1949)
    Monday 3 Feb @ 22:00 on Talking Pictures TV

    Black Narcissus (1947)
    Tuesday 4 Feb @ 15:35 on BBC2

    Enjoy

    Steve

  • #2
    Something to look forward to, thanks for the heads up.

    Never seen any of those except for The Red Shoes.

    Who knows, my personal top three P&Ps (none of them in the list above) may change!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tonch View Post
      Something to look forward to, thanks for the heads up.

      Never seen any of those except for The Red Shoes.

      Who knows, my personal top three P&Ps (none of them in the list above) may change!
      Which are your top 3 P&P films then Tonch?
      Mine always is A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

      Steve

      Comment


      • #4
        I can never quite decide whether A Matter Of Life And Death or The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp claim top spot for me, it tends to oscillate between them. Both are works of genius to my mind.

        But I've always had a soft spot for I Know Where I'm Going! which I remember seeing on TV and loving years ago as a young lad. A terrifying whirlpool, a Golden Eagle and a Scottish curse; it could have been made for me. Fabulous.
        Last edited by Tonch; 28th January 2020, 07:18 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tonch View Post
          I can never quite decide whether A Matter Of Life And Death or The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp claim top spot for me, it tends to oscillate between them. Both are works of genius to my mind.

          But I've always had a soft spot for I Know Where I'm Going! which I remember seeing on TV and loving years ago as a young lad. A terrifying whirlpool, a Golden Eagle and a Scottish curse; it could have been made for me. Fabulous.
          All great choices

          Steve

          Comment


          • #6
            1. Blimp
            2. IKWIG
            3. 49th Parallel
            4. Hmmm .... Emmm ... Errrr

            (Still can't get my head around A Canterbury Tale .... ??)
            (Continually embarrassed by The Battle of the River Plate)

            Being an Australian, just thankful they re-united for They're a Weird Mob (albeit steeped in stereotypicality)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
              1. Blimp
              2. IKWIG
              3. 49th Parallel
              4. Hmmm .... Emmm ... Errrr

              (Still can't get my head around A Canterbury Tale .... ??)
              I find it helps if you can slow down to the film’s speed.

              It’s certainly not a fast, action packed film.

              It’s a charming film about people who find themselves moved to other places.

              (Continually embarrassed by The Battle of the River Plate)
              Why? What’s embarrassing about it?

              Steve

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

                Why? What’s embarrassing about it?

                Steve
                "Cardboard" sets/backgrounds (some scenes are more akin to a stage production than a film), some of the acting (e.g. those so-called "live" commentary scenes towards the end ....!)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

                  "Cardboard" sets/backgrounds (some scenes are more akin to a stage production than a film), some of the acting (e.g. those so-called "live" commentary scenes towards the end ....!)
                  "Cardboard" sets/backgrounds? It was filmed mainly on board real warships.

                  those so-called "live" commentary scenes towards the end? What "live" commentary scenes? Are you sure you were watching the film The Battle of the River Plate?
                  You might have to watch it again to check

                  Steve

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    At least the BBC will broadcast them in their original 4:3 ratios rather than in a "stretched" version to fill a 16:9 TV screen, which Talking Pictures seem to do - at least the last time I watched anything on that channel.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Carl V View Post
                      At least the BBC will broadcast them in their original 4:3 ratios rather than in a "stretched" version to fill a 16:9 TV screen, which Talking Pictures seem to do - at least the last time I watched anything on that channel.
                      If you're bothered by that sort of thing then you can see most of the major P&P films on DVD or Blu-ray nowadays
                      I'm just glad to see any P&P films being shown in any format

                      Steve

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post


                        I'm just glad to see any P&P films being shown in any format

                        Steve
                        Really? Even if it wrecks how it should be shown?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

                          Really? Even if it wrecks how it should be shown?
                          Yes, because it's the content that I watch, not the format

                          Steve

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

                            If you're bothered by that sort of thing then you can see most of the major P&P films on DVD or Blu-ray nowadays
                            I'm just glad to see any P&P films being shown in any format

                            Steve
                            Yes I do want to see a film in the manner the director intended - that's why I buy all films I enjoy on Blu-ray or DVD. If they happen to be shown on TV as well, then fine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

                              Yes, because it's the content that I watch, not the format

                              Steve
                              So if a film is shown in fullscreen but should be shown in 2.35.1 you are losing major picture content/information in how the Director intended it to be.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X