Watched Last Night (TV)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post

Although this site is devoted to British films I don't think you will be chastised for watching an American programme! Steve wont ban you.
    Maybe not, but please don’t speak for me.

Steve

Comment

Four episodes of new drama 'Mrs America'........

Cate Blanchett as stereotypical american homemaker Phyllis Schlafly, who goes on an anti-feminist tour, and Tracey Ullman as radical feminist Betty Friedman.........

Can't say I've heard of either before, but the early 1970's detail is very good, plus the soundtrack, all funky-soul of the time..........

I'm aware of Singer Anita Bryant's crusade, unsure if she will be portrayed in a later episode, as we're in 1972/3 so far, she was similar to Phyllis with her homophobic outbursts, in 1977 she had a fruit pie thrown in her face, live on TV !..........

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Maybe not, but please don’t speak for me.

Steve
        Sorry old bean, I was being light hearted and didn’t mean to cause offence.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post

Sorry old bean, I was being light hearted and didn’t mean to cause offence.
          Isn’t that what the smiley faces, or some such thing, are for? To show when you’re being light hearted.

But it’s OK, no damage done.

Steve

Comment

Star Cops (1987)

Well, not last night exactly, but over the last couple of weeks I have been working through my DVDs of this near-future crime-in-orbit series starring the excellent David Calder. Nobody liked it much at the time, I seem to recall (including me), but in retrospect it seems not bad at all.

The writing is generally good, and Chris Boucher in particular has an ear for a sharp line. The perpetually angry and abrasive character interactions in the early episodes got on my nerves a bit, but it softens somewhat as it goes on. Indeed I suspect that many of the rough edges the series has would have been smoothed out in the second series it never got. Nine episodes isn't long for a show to find its feet, after all.

The model work is excellent. The model of the moonbase never really looks like anything but a model of a moonbase, but the vehicles are superb and a joy to behold. The live-action zero-g scenes are rather clunky (though I suppose zero-g IS a bit clunky, so maybe that's not a problem ) and the series quickly decamps to moonbase, where the low gravity is paid no more than lip service. Its worst sin is probably the music - it's not just the notoriously naff theme song, the incidental music is sometimes wholly inappropriate and works against the scene it accompanies rather than with it.

On the whole I find myself a bit sad that my visits to the Star Cops office are at an end. Definitely worth a revisit.

Comment

I've been watching episodes of William Tell on Talking pictures. Some great actors in supporting roles.
              In "The Prisoner" along with Bruce Seton were James Booth, John Howard Davies & a dark haired Michael Caine!

Comment

I watched a drama I'd never seen before called 'Melissa'. I felt the charcters were very strange so couldn't get in to it. The only bonus was that it had Joan Benham in. I always like to see her.

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
                  I watched a drama I'd never seen before called 'Melissa'. I felt the charcters were very strange so couldn't get in to it. The only bonus was that it had Joan Benham in. I always like to see her.
                  I've never seen this either but it looks fascinating goping off the imdb reviews. I also like Joan Benham & I always thought Peter Barkworth was a brilliant actor!
                  I'd loved to have seen it!

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
                    I watched a drama I'd never seen before called 'Melissa'. I felt the characters were very strange so couldn't get in to it. The only bonus was that it had Joan Benham in. I always like to see her.
                    Was that the Francis Durbridge three part serial made in 1974? What TV station was it shown on, or was it on BBC iPlayer? It's been made three times for TV, the most notable being the 1997 Channel4 version starring Jennifer Ehle and adapted by Alan Bleasdale. Which reminds me I must check the availability of that.

Comment

I watched some really good snooker on BBC1 and 2. Terrific game between Ronnie'o'Sullivan and Ding Jun Hui.

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                        Was that the Francis Durbridge three part serial made in 1974? What TV station was it shown on, or was it on BBC iPlayer? It's been made three times for TV, the most notable being the 1997 Channel4 version starring Jennifer Ehle and adapted by Alan Bleasdale. Which reminds me I must check the availability of that.

Yes agutterfan it was the 1974 version. I found it on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6w37EDW8E.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

I've never seen this either but it looks fascinating goping off the imdb reviews. I also like Joan Benham & I always thought Peter Barkworth was a brilliant actor!
                          I'd loved to have seen it!

You can see it on you tube Wadsy. Link on my post above.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X