Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Coronation Street thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronation Street thread

We can't have a TV and film forum, without a thread on Britain's longest running soap-opera lol.

I've been a devoted fan for as long as I can remember, but for the first time ever I'm becoming a tad bored with nothing but storylines revolving around the relationships of the 'youngsters'. (anyone under 50 is a youngster to me lol)

They flit from partner to partner as if they're on a merry go round, Nick, Leanne, Peter, Michelle, Steve, Tracey, etc; etc; it's all so tedious.

I think long running soapies are destined to become tedious.
    Then there are others which become tedious half way through the very first episod
    e!

Comment

Hi, in one of last week's episode, Sally Metcalfe made a (nervous) speech, when she opened an LGBT centre inside a large building, my question is, does anyone know what the building was please ?

It may have been a Cathedral or large Church, Sally walked down stairs, that had very impressive stained glass windows behind her, the brickwork was a muted, dusty red type colour, I'm presuming it's in the Manchester area

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
        Hi, in one of last week's episode, Sally Metcalfe made a (nervous) speech, when she opened an LGBT centre inside a large building, my question is, does anyone know what the building was please ?

It may have been a Cathedral or large Church, Sally walked down stairs, that had very impressive stained glass windows behind her, the brickwork was a muted, dusty red type colour, I'm presuming it's in the Manchester area
        It's okay, I've been informed it's Rochdale town hall, a place I've not yet visited, though with the statue of our Gracie there also, looks an interesting place to go to.

Comment

My mother's maiden name was Sharples. Just sayin'...

Comment

I used to watch Coronation Street regularly years ago when it was character-driven. The wonderful rep company of regulars could make even the most mundane plotline interesting. Then it followed the example of Eastenders and became ever more driven by melodramatic, over-the-top narratives. That's when I gave up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
              We can't have a TV and film forum, without a thread on Britain's longest running soap-opera lol.

I've been a devoted fan for as long as I can remember, but for the first time ever I'm becoming a tad bored with nothing but storylines revolving around the relationships of the 'youngsters'. (anyone under 50 is a youngster to me lol)

They flit from partner to partner as if they're on a merry go round, Nick, Leanne, Peter, Michelle, Steve, Tracey, etc; etc; it's all so tedious.
              It used to be daring if Elsie Tanner played a scene in a black satin slip - things have changed, from what you say!

I haven't seen it since the early 1980s, but every now and then I see a couple of minutes, and it seems really strange to see the houses modernised and extended.

Comment

My Dad (Larry Noble) was in a couple of episodes back in 1966. He played a Tax Inspector who was trying to talk to Minnie Caldwell. We lived in South Harrow at the time, and people would come up to him and say "You leave that Minnie Caldwell alone, she's done nothing to you!". My parents had some previous connection to the show's creator Tony Warren, but I can't remember what it was. They'd worked in a play together or something.

I only watched episodes during a few years in the 70s, when Hilda Ogden still had her Stan (Jean Alexander and Bernard Youens), and Eddie Yates (Geoffrey Hughes) was her lodger.

Comment

There was a television play in 2010, The Road to Coronation Street, which was about its beginning. It was fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X