Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Sapphire (1959)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire (1959)

I caught about 40 minutes of this last night, not knowing beforehand that it was going to be shown. It's riveting, with vast amounts of social history and some great performances, and interesting locations.
    I hope that Talking Pictures TV will show it again - things seem to turn up several times.

Originally posted by zither View Post
    I caught about 40 minutes of this last night, not knowing beforehand that it was going to be shown. It's riveting, with vast amounts of social history and some great performances, and interesting locations.
    I hope that Talking Pictures TV will show it again - things seem to turn up several times.
    You can check Talking Pictures schedules on line.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

You can check Talking Pictures schedules on line.
      Thanks, I will.

Comment

The dvd I have of Sapphire is unfortunately full frame. Was the Talking Pictures presentation broadcast in widescreen ?

Comment

Originally posted by oddbodjunior View Post
          The dvd I have of Sapphire is unfortunately full frame. Was the Talking Pictures presentation broadcast in widescreen ?
          My husband says:

"ISTR it was shown widecreen on Talking Pictures.

"However, your DVD may not be wrong. At the time that Sapphire was made, films were often shot full-frame but distributed with instructions to the projectionist to mask off the top and bottom of the frame, creating a widescreen image on the cinema screen. Examples that come to mind include The Dam Busters and A Hard Day's Night. The way to check this is to look at the film's title screen. If the titles only use the middle third of the screen measured vertically, then you've got this kind of film and you may be able to correct it using the zoom or aspect controls on your TV. If the titles fill the whole vertical space but are squashed or cut off on the left and right then sorry, you've probably got a pan-and-scan.

"Good luck!"

Comment

According to IMDB it was shot in 1.66:1 and the version on YouTube is a lot 'wider' than my purchased DVD copy. Some comments on Amazon suggest that this version is wrong, but someone else says it is correct. Confusing to say the least !.

Comment

Yes, that does all sound odd!

Comment

Talking Pictures TV is showing it again on 18th April at 10.10. We can check!

Comment

I trust you enjoyed it.

Comment

Yes, it's really interesting, although didactic in parts, of course. I liked the representation of post-war London, with the dingy lodging-houses, the cars and so on.

Yvonne Mitchell is always worth seeing. I spotted Philip Lowrie, who used to play Dennis Tanner in Coronation Street, in a tiny part (in a coffee bar, as one of a group of students).

Comment

Working...
                    X