Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Cosh Boy on Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosh Boy on Talking Pictures

Tonight (May 8th) at 10pm on Talking Pictures, Lewis Gilbert's Cosh Boy (1953) starring James Kenney and Joan Collins. Both Hermiones in the cast along with Sidney James and Johnny Briggs.

One of Britain's first X Certificate films. Also known as The Slasher.

It must have been very shocking when it came out.
    Johnny Briggs looked about fourteen! I'm almost sure that Kenneth Williams in his diaries mentions being auditioned for it, though it seems very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by zither View Post
      I'm almost sure that Kenneth Williams in his diaries mentions being auditioned for it, though it seems very unlikely.
      Indeed he does mention this in his diary. Dated 17 June 1952, he says: "Interview by Lewis Gilbert for part in film Cosh Boy. I don't see much hope there."

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

Indeed he does mention this in his diary. Dated 17 June 1952, he says: "Interview by Lewis Gilbert for part in film Cosh Boy. I don't see much hope there."
        He was right not see much hope!

Comment

Though it was an interesting film. A bit of a nod to Hamlet in Walshie's Oedipus complex - or am I reading too much into it?

Comment

I once saw the 1954 film THE SEEKERS, in which Kenneth Williams, in what was supposed to be a dramatic part, looked hilarious in a scene where he was attacked by Maori warriors. Looked at today, I can almost hear him saying "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in fer me!" Kenneth was a wonderful comedian, but couldn't do drama to save his life, because he looked like a really funny man and you just naturally laughed at him. It's a bit like Tommy Cooper playing Trevor Howard's part in BRIEF ENCOUNTER. The cinema audience would laugh as soon as they saw him. Probably they were thinking of having Kenneth as some kind of knife-wielding juvenile delinquent in COSH BOY and changed their mind when they saw his screen test. There were some actors, such as Kenneth More, who could play comic and dramatic parts equally as well. Play THE SHERIFF OF FRACTURED JAW and SINK THE BISMARCK! back to back and it's obvious what a superb, versatile actor he was.

Comment

That's a fair enough comment about Kenneth Williams, though he was lauded for his performance as the Dauphin on stage in St. Joan around the time of The Seekers and just before he went full-time into comedy.
              Personal perception is certainly a factor: I remember seeing Richard Briers in a PLAY FOR TODAY during the height of his sitcom fame and found it impossible to take him seriously, talented actor though he was.

Comment

Then there's actors who had years of serious work under their belt but found fame in a comedy role. Take Leslie Neilson for example, years of solid work in Hollywood from Forbidden Planet to The Poseidon Adventure and then Airplane! and The Naked Gun series. It is almost impossible to watch his earlier dramatic roles without laughing, especially as his comedy roles were played deadpan, exactly the same as his dramatic parts.

Comment

Walter Matthaue started off playing baddies in westerns and a nasty in King Creole before becoming a great wisecracking comedy actor. A brilliant all rounder.

Comment

Is anyone in London area having problems with talking pictures. I keep losing the channel on my dvd recorder. Have tried tuning both auto and manually. Sometimes this works but the next day its gone again. The frequency is 31 crystal palace transmitter. Its been over a week now which is the longest period so far. Also noticed yesterday it had gone from my TV but only seemed to be for a short time as its back now.

Comment

I can't pick it up at all in Stoke on Trent. It's supposed to be on Freeview channel 81, but there's nothing on channel 81 where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by tarapeel View Post
                        Is anyone in London area having problems with talking pictures. I keep losing the channel on my dvd recorder. Have tried tuning both auto and manually. Sometimes this works but the next day its gone again. The frequency is 31 crystal palace transmitter. Its been over a week now which is the longest period so far. Also noticed yesterday it had gone from my TV but only seemed to be for a short time as its back now.
                        Yes, I've had the same problem in the past couple of weeks, the picture breaks up and I get flashes of "no signal". It was not so bad yesterday but still unwatchable. Strangely it only seems to be the hard drive recorder's tuner, watching via the TV's tuner it is fine, but I would never watch "live" because of the infernal adverts (and things being on at inconvenient times).

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post
                          Then there's actors who had years of serious work under their belt but found fame in a comedy role.
                          It's a bit like the German actor Gert Frobe. The only serious part I can remember him in was the villain in Goldfinger, followed by comedy roles in Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines and then Monte Carlo or Bust. I gather he made numerous films in his native Germany, but have no idea if they were comedies or serious roles.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                            I can't pick it up at all in Stoke on Trent. It's supposed to be on Freeview channel 81, but there's nothing on channel 81 where I am.
                            Although Talking Pictures is a standard definition channel, you can only pick it up with an HD tuner for some reason. I can't get it on my SD hard drive recorder, only on the HDTV and HD hard drive recorder (apart from the recent problems, as outlined above).

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

Yes, I've had the same problem in the past couple of weeks, the picture breaks up and I get flashes of "no signal". It was not so bad yesterday but still unwatchable. Strangely it only seems to be the hard drive recorder's tuner, watching via the TV's tuner it is fine, but I would never watch "live" because of the infernal adverts (and things being on at inconvenient times).
                              Thanks for your reply. It seems you have the same problem as me apart from the fact that I do not get any picture, just the 'no signal'. As you say the problem is with my recorders tuner and watching via TV is fine although having said that it has disappeared from the TV but only a short time. I can watch live occasionally but like to record and watch later or burn to disc.
                              I can get the other HD channels fine. Hope it is fixed soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X