Hell Is A City on Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
    Now that I have 'Talking Pictures' I had not intended to watch 'Hell is a City' but was drawn into it...what a cracker! I enjoyed it immensely. TP's schedule looks great, all those old gems that never get shown anymore, it's going to be a favourite.

Meanwhile here is Stanley Baxter taking the P.

I remember Robbie Coltrane doing a similar spoof as "Edgar Dustcarten".

Comment

Re: the City of Manchester being unhappy about the description 'Hell'

The first frame of 'Brighton Rock' (1947) has a warning to viewers saying something about this film (about a sociopath and his sluts) as being throughly atypical of the happy tourist resort town of Brighton.

And IMDB says Brighton Borough Council refused permission for use of the race course because of the damage that gang crime would do to the town's image. The Brighton authorities objected to the way their town was being depicted as a haven for gangsters so filming took place in Brighton surreptitiously with hidden cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
        Re: the City of Manchester being unhappy about the description 'Hell'

The first frame of 'Brighton Rock' (1947) has a warning to viewers saying something about this film (about a sociopath and his sluts) as being throughly atypical of the happy tourist resort town of Brighton.
        When I saw Brighton Rock in Brighton some years ago, everybody in the audience laughed at that caveat

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

So they said it over 50 years ago and have since cleaned the place up? It’s a different story when you put it all in context like that. Manchester was quite hellish 50+ years ago

Steve
          I dare say it was.

After all, 1960 born soap Coronation Street was based on it's (then) grime ridden streets.

Glasgow had a 'tough' reputation also, Lulu said when she was growing up in the 50's, there were knife gangs, and if you were unlucky, you'd end up with the 'Glasgow grin'...

Comment

I remember Manchetser as a lovely place in the early sixties! Piccadilly Gardens and bustling Market Street, with Henry's Store and Lewis's, etc. I used to wander about all day on a Saturday, keeping a threepenny bit in my pocket for bus fare home. Right at the end of Hell is a City, you see Stanley walking through Lewis's Arcade, with the wonderful Wiles toyshop, which used to have on display a gigantic string clown puppet! Ladies of zee night used to operate from the Arcade, as you see in the film. They were known as 'one of Lewis's'! LOL! Piccadilly is actually more sinister at night nowadays than it was then!

Comment

I trust that the powers that be in London didn't kick up a fuss when The Frightened City came out

Comment

^ Well, I would be Frightened living in the City of London because "terrorists can destroy our life" and "you’ve got to be prepared for these things" as it is "part and parcel of living in a great global city"

Comment

^ Well, I would be Frightened living in the City of London because "terrorists can destroy our life" and "you’ve got to be prepared for these things" as it is "part and parcel of living in a great global city"
                  Scumbag terrorists will operate wherever they want to, Warrington, Guildford, Birmingham, Enniskillen, Canvey Island, there was even an IRA car bomb in Coventry before the War.

One of the reasons I support, love, and cherish our armed forces, they risk life and limb (literally), to protect us.

Comment

I did state "when the film came out" and that was in 1961.

Comment

A Lot of scenes were Shot in Oldham' on what is known as Oldham Edge' for instance the Coin tossing Gambling scene'

Martineau's home exterior shot was also near Oldham Edge' on Crompton Street

Click image for larger version

Name:	cs3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	51346

Comment

Crompton Street looks much the same as it did 58 years ago, except for the modern PVC window frames. However the film studio interior of his house was far more spacious than that in the real terraced two up two down house he was seen going in to.

Comment

^ Studio interior sets are one of my bugbear obsessions.

Rooms are 3 times wider than they should be and devoid of right angles. And so often, there's a step UP leading to the exit door (combined with a step DOWN outside it).

Comment

Working...
                          X