Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

NEVER LET GO (1960) on Talking Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilipW View Post

Not so, I'm afraid. The black side bars were far too big for 1.66. I actually got my tape measure out and measured it as it looked so strange.

It was definately 1.50:1.

This is not the first time that Talking Pictures have shown films in strange ratios. SPARE THE ROD, I recall, was also shown somewhere between 1.40 and 1.50. There have been a few others.
    Yes, you’re right. On my 60” screen the film measures 44” x 29” which is close to 1.50:1. Very odd. Talking Pictures obviously have their own unique ideas on aspect ratios!

Comment

My LCD wide screen television receives a synch pulse of some sort that adjusts the image to the right ratio. If the film is in 4 x 3, it comes on that way. If it's 16 x 9, it comes on that way. 21 x 9 CinemaScope films come on looking right. I never have to adjust the image with the remote. I can't abide people who stretch out a 4 x 3 image to 6 x 3 and have everyone looking broad and fat, just so they can have an image covering the whole screen. It looks dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by vanmunchen View Post
        Talking Pictures obviously have their own unique ideas on aspect ratios!
        I presume that as 3rd party licensees Talking Pictures just show whatever print the film company sends them.

Many of the films that Talking Pictures shows are held by ITV Studios, they being the current owners of a large portion of the Rank backlog. I suspect this copy of NEVER LET GO came from them too.
        I don't consider that ITV Studios are a trusted guardian of the nation's film heritage. They only obtained the backlog through acquisitions of other companies and they give no impression that they are particularly interested in it.

As has been mentioned in other threads, a lot of the copies of films that they hold are pan-and-scan videotapes made for TV showings on ITV in the 60s and 70s. I don't quite understand why Talking Pictures is happy to show these rather than request the native film copies which surely must still be around. I sincerely hope that ITV Studios have not lost or destroyed them.

I also don't understand why Talking Pictures also shows some films 'open matte' in 4x3. Surely they could mask the film down to the correct 1.75 ratio just as the projector had to do in cinemas.

Notwithstanding all this, I remain perplaxed why anyone would want to make a 1.50 ratio copy of NEVER LET GO. I can't think of any good reason, yet they appear to have done just that.
        Last edited by PhilipW; 23rd January 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Talking Pictures TV's copy of NEVER LET GO doesn't have a very pin sharp image and looks as though it's been transferred from a very old video tape. It needs remastering from the original negatives or at least a good 35mm print.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
            Talking Pictures TV's copy of NEVER LET GO doesn't have a very pin sharp image and looks as though it's been transferred from a very old video tape.
            That description could be applied to about 80% of Talking Picture TVs programming.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

That description could be applied to about 80% of Talking Picture TVs programming.
              100% if watching on Sky satellite! The picture quality has improved, however, from when they first started broadcasting on Sky. Picture quality on Freeview is rather better but still not very good.

Comment

The commercials are nice and clear, though.

Comment

The last time I did ratios was at school. Personally I was just grateful to see this film on TV after all this time. I loved it and had a very clear picture. I note that Talking Pictures schedules are now included in the Daily Mail Weekend TV Guide. About time too. (Apologies to Steve Crook for daring to mention this paper !!)

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                    (Apologies to Steve Crook for daring to mention this paper !!)
                    That's all right, they do get some things right occasionally

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                      ...they do get some things right occasionally

Steve
                      The date, and the football results?

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

The date, and the football results?
                        Even those you should double check with another source. Especially the date, they seem to live in the 1910s

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Even those you should double check with another source. Especially the date, they seem to live in the 1910s

Steve
                          I would have said the 1930s myself.

(Lord Rothermere... nudge nudge, wink wink).

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                            Talking Pictures TV's copy of NEVER LET GO doesn't have a very pin sharp image and looks as though it's been transferred from a very old video tape. It needs remastering from the original negatives or at least a good 35mm print.
                            A fair number of films have coloured patterning on fine detail (which is very obvious on a black and white film) suggesting that they were transferred from film in the pre-digital days of PAL and videotape. That's even true of films that have a Remastered by Renown banner before them :-(

Comment

Working...
                            X