Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Edgar Wallace Thriller Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgar Wallace Thriller Series

Starts on Monday 5th March at 1835 each day.Brings back memoriesries of the ABC Holders Green 430performance Sunday afternoons.Yes on Talking Pictures
    Last edited by orpheum; 23rd February 2018, 07:52 PM.

Talking Pictures I presume.

Comment

I hope they've done something about the sound. The dialogue on Network's DVDs is very unclear which makes them, for me, almost unwatchable.

Comment

Let's hope the murders from the 1950's don't start again Stanley Baxter hit it on the head although it does have a catchy theme tune.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
          Let's hope the murders from the 1950's don't start again Stanley Baxter hit it on the head although it does have a catchy theme tune.
          The 'Scotland Yard' earlier series with Edgar Lustgarten (yes great lampoon by Stanley Baxter) is also being shown in tandem with the Edgar Wallace series.

Comment

I used to have one of my brothers old 45s, of The SHadows playing the theme from Edgar Wallace - it was a B side on one of their Polydor singles. I used to play it at 16 rpm on the Pye black box, to get the full spookiness of it. At 45 it sounded far too jolly.

Comment

You Tube has one of the now rare 'television' prints on show..these were probably 4:3 16mm and cut to under 55mins to fit an hour slot, quite interesting what they did with the titles.. they put the theatrical titles at the end just like a TV show would have.

Comment

The sound on talking pictures seems fine

Comment

Watching on Talking Pictures I am noticing now on this run that the EW series has a lot of night scenes- just luv em! they are so lush and atmospheric I reckon.

Comment

The opening credits with that marvellous tune must be among the most effective of all time.I can shut my eyes and I am back in the ABC Golders Green 55years ago.

Comment

In one episode that I watched this week the same bottle of Johnnie Walker whisky appeared in several scenes at various different locations. Diminished contents each time.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                        In one episode that I watched this week the same bottle of Johnnie Walker whisky appeared in several scenes at various different locations. Diminished contents each time.
                        Ah Bernard probably took it with him to each scene LOL
                        Last edited by Bert Quark; 29th March 2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

One of my all time favourite series at the ABC’s, I bought the DVD boxed set a few years ago and watched nearly all of them. Watching again on Talking Pictures and they’re still as good as ever. Seeing this series and Edgar Lustgarten was always a great treat ever since I first saw The Strange Case of Blondie, EL became a great favourite of mine.

Wonderful memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Merton Park View Post
                            One of my all time favourite series at the ABC’s, I bought the DVD boxed set a few years ago and watched nearly all of them. Watching again on Talking Pictures and they’re still as good as ever. Seeing this series and Edgar Lustgarten was always a great treat ever since I first saw The Strange Case of Blondie, EL became a great favourite of mine.

Wonderful memories.
                            If you have the DVDs why on earth would you want to watch them on Talking Pictures in lower definition and interrupted by adverts?

Comment

I didn’t have the dvd’s with me and as far as the ads are concerned fast forward solves that problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X