Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Climb Up The Wall (TPTV) - creeping censorship !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climb Up The Wall (TPTV) - creeping censorship !

The early Michael Winner film was shown last week in a 6.35p.m. slot, just after Scotland Yard. For those who haven't seen it, it's a ragbag of disparate clips introduced by DJ Jack Jackson featuring Russ Conway and Libby Morris. It was originally granted a 'U' cert (which is shown at the start of the film) and has previously been shown in various time slots on TPTV. Their is a warning about nudity in the film and indeed there is some glimpsish stock footage of topless dancers sitting in a group in what appears to be a West End nightclub. However in this screening TPTV have censored this scene none too subtly with some strategically placed black hearts !

This seems to be following a trend that ITV have started with recent censorship of daytime screenings of the Carry Ons - how have we become so puritanical in 2018 !?

The blurring out or blacking out of anything remotely controversial continues. Since a brief view of topless women was censored in the 'U' cert feature 'Climb Up The Wall (previously shown uncut) we've seen this in Don't Panic, Chaps (brief view of men's backsides as they run over sand dunes), Very Important Person (black star superimposed on a glimpsish side view of a nipple in a girlie mag), and now, in an 80-year-old Arthur Askey film, the blurring out of the title of The Jewish Chronicle in a sight gag in which a Hitler look-alike sleeping in a Tube station during is revealed to be Jewish. I know that ITV now routinely cuts out any sign of nudity from daytime showngs of Carry On movies too. This new puritanism about showing even the slightest bit of naked flesh is ludicrous.

Comment

I agree !

Somebody out there has an agenda and this is worrying...

Are they preparing us for a future life under the Taliban etc. ?

The tv broadcasters say 'we have to do this before 9PM' but this doesn't seem to apply to the Horror Channel on Freeview who often screen scary films during the day that were rated 'X' for cinema release ('The Fly' for example ).....

TPTV seems to be the only channel that blurs out part of the screen .....

Comment

I well remember my childhood days when I would peep through the bannisters having been sent to bed because the man on the BBC had stated that "The following programme is not suitable for children or anyone of a nervous disposition".

Comment

TPTV's showing of The Southern Star (1968), admittedly an afternoon showing, surpassed itself with the blurring out of a dancer's breasts for a lengthy sequence near the start of the film, but didn't quite manage to fully obscure Arsula Undress's bum and boobs in a later nude bathing scene.

Comment

The recent screenings of King Solomon's Mines (1937) blurred out nudity from African tribal footage. I haven't seen it recently, but I suspect the same will happen with an even older film, Rome Express (1932) which IIRC, has a scene with photographs or magazines featuring topless women at a French railway kiosk.

Comment

ZULU should be interesting if ever TPTV get their morality police on it ...!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                TPTV's showing of The Southern Star (1968), admittedly an afternoon showing, surpassed itself with the blurring out of a dancer's breasts for a lengthy sequence near the start of the film, but didn't quite manage to fully obscure Arsula Undress's bum and boobs in a later nude bathing scene.
                I agree, Gerald. How much effort went into that blurring. It would have been simpler to screen the film later on. Amazing when one thinks of the amount of offensive rubbish on the box - at all hours..

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post
                  ZULU should be interesting if ever TPTV get their morality police on it ...!
                  They'll only be keeping abreast of the TV censorship rules !!

Comment

TPTV censorship of The Boys, the glamour calender was blurred, this is the version issued on Dvd as well.

Comment

In the Swimmer star ring Burt L ancaster yousaw his naked bum.
                      It was after the watershed.

Comment

No blurred boobs that I could detect in their screening of A Severed Head (1970), though it was a late night showing. Some out of sync dialogue early on in the film though.

Comment

• agutterfan
                          agutterfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes I saw that and noticed the lip-synching too. The dialogue in most of the film sounded flat as when films are post-dubbed. Perhaps there was a problem with the 'live' sound.
                          Last edited by agutterfan; 21st October 2018, 11:27 PM.

TPTV's late night, or rather, early morning, showing of Not Tonight, Darling! (1971) left boobs, bums and bangers blur-less and intact.

Comment

Some of London Live's late night showings are not too fussy about censorship.

Comment

TPTV's showing of the 1980s series The Gentle Touch has a lot of the audio taken out even though is screened at 11pm at night (only showing at that time) with a warning that it contains certain kinds of language,Obvious words like Sl"t can not be heard and even though the character of Det. Ch. Insp. Russell's (William Marlowe) son is disabled and his wifes character works for a charity called sp***ic society that word can not be heard either.

Comment

Working...
                            X