Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Talking Pictures coming to Virgin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I get a bit of buffering on I-Player, and somewhat annoyingly YouTube videos 'stutter' about every 10 seconds. My sister had the latest Tivo box installed last weekend and it works like a dream on all channels and apps, so you could ask Virgin to send you this latest box.
    Thats not your box...thats your broadband speed, or your internal network getting interrupted. If your downloads are buffering, then you need to look at the speed and reliability of your connection to the main server or your wifi, or possibly security protocols. It can happen at times when the network is under strain (mid evenings, for instance), but usually its just slow internet speeds. Iplayer can make do with as little as 1.5mbps, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/speed_checker_online but 3mbps is OK for HD. The other thing that can lead to signal breakup is dodgy connections or interference - even HDMI can be prone to that.

I'm not surprised someone with the latest Tivo box wouldn't have this problem - they are also likely to have the latest Virgin hub and high capacity fibre. I dont have the Virgin TV package, but on fibre with the new hub (we just moved so they changed it), I'm getting 65mbps with an excellent wifi signal, but the Virgin cabinet is also just about 50 paces away.

I couldn't say what the problem is with signal breakup on Talking Pictures on Virgin is (you can get signal breakup on Freeview and even sat., but cable is strange),nor how to move stuff from Tivo boxes (AVForums is a good start https://www.avforums.com/threads/vir...nsfer.1873989/ plus the Virgin community forums) but

'How are you savig things from Tivo to disk? I have some thigs stored on there thatt I really want to save liike my brief appearance o "The One Show" and some rare films & other programmes
    Record stuff direct from your TV, in exactly the same way that I suggested for Tonch on another current thread. Use the USB port to record from the TV itself (most now do) using the TV's own tuner, and then you have a copy you can burn to DVD, etc. And DVD recorders are about to become a technological dodo - they stopped being made at least 5 years ago. If someone really wants that capacity, then using a tuner card with a PC would be possibly cheaper than buying a 2nd hand DVD recorder, and might give you a T2 tuner as well, but frankly, there isn't much point - I've never even used mine in that way, and I dont even have a desktop any more to fit it into.

Comment

Games That Lovers Play (1971) was on Talking Pictures last night but (Just like the Simply Media DVD is) this was cut and censors the scene where Joanna Lumley gets out of bed and pus a robe on..

I do not understand why this was cut on the DVD and the TV showing.....stupid really!!

Comment

The Man Who Haunted Himself is scheduled for 12/8

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
          Games That Lovers Play (1971) was on Talking Pictures last night but (Just like the Simply Media DVD is) this was cut and censors the scene where Joanna Lumley gets out of bed and pus a robe on..

I do not understand why this was cut on the DVD and the TV showing.....stupid really!!
          Was it te American version? They tend to be very puritan in many cases

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Was it te American version? They tend to be very puritan in many cases

Steve
            Both the UK DVD (which you would expect to be uncut in this day and age ) and the Talking Pictures showing must be,I see it as stupid really,consdering you see a lot worse in other movies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

Both the UK DVD (which you would expect to be uncut in this day and age ) and the Talking Pictures showing must be,I see it as stupid really,consdering you see a lot worse in other movies!!
              Is there a UK DVD? Is it uncut?
              It's from a 1971 film. Americans were even more puritan in those days. Maybe that was the only print available to them. You would have to ask Talking Pictures for a definitive answer

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Is there a UK DVD? Is it uncut?

Click image for larger version

Name:	games-that-lovers-play-1971.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	9285

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-That-.../dp/B00HYHPGQU

No it is not uncut,The version shown on TV is the same as the UK DVD ie both cut..

Comment

Working...
                X