Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Terror Of The Tongs/Camp On Blood Island--TPTV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's hope for Wawrick Films Zarak yet.

Comment

In a double bill with Homicial saw at the ABC on 19/11/61.Paid 4/6 so probably sat in the circle.I thought it was very good

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post
        Don't forget many people buy DVDs /Blu Rays of films that have already been screened on television, many quite recently...

Perhaps because they like the film, missed part of it, want a better quality copy, a copy with no ads, or for the disc extras...

It doesn't follow that a tv screening kills off the DVD market - tv screenings of classics can open up new DVD markets ...
        I agree with you. I have watched films myself that I hadn't heard of, ended up enjoying them, and then bought the DVD/Blu-ray. If you're a Hammer fan, you just can't beat the Indicator Blu-ray releases of Columbia titles and I would never settle for a copy from Talking Pictures.

Speaking of Talking Pictures, from what I've been hearing about them, the films they'll be showing will probably either be edited, contain 'blurring' scenes, film will begin partway through, or perhaps even change over to another film 20 minutes before the current one has reached the end.

Comment

I think it was paired with HOMICIDAL as support - a William Castle shocker about murderer who is not the gender you expect......!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054988/

Comment

For me there would be no contest between a good quality DVD or, even better, a Blu-ray, compared with TPTVs low bandwidth transmissions with annoying DOG in the corner of the screen, interrupted by adverts and not necessarily in the correct aspect ratio (and, although it doesn't affect old British films much, in glorious mono sound).

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
              In a double bill with Homicial saw at the ABC on 19/11/61.Paid 4/6 so probably sat in the circle.I thought it was very good
              Aaahhh Homicidal, where Helga loses her head !!

Comment

• agutterfan
                agutterfan commented
                Editing a comment
                With the special intermission called "Fright Break" (see film poster).

Originally posted by daveoc14 View Post
              I think I saw mention on another TPTV thread that TP have recently signed a deal with Columbia and I guess this is the start of the films turning up for viewing. I have to say I'm looking forward to these two as I've never seen them. Hopefully this deal with Columbia will bring us many more unexpected gems. Going by the box set link maybe Stranglers Of Bombay and Yesterdays Enemy might appear before too long.
              Yesterdays Enemy is already on now and again. Not sure if it;s Talking Pictures or Film4. I also would love to see Stranglers of Bombay which I haven't seen for years. I do however have the DVD of Camp on Blood Island
              Last edited by cassidy; 28th June 2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Well I have a good copy of Stranglers.If interested in a copy send me a pm

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                  Well I have a good copy of Stranglers.If interested in a copy send me a pm
                  Many thanks. Just off on holiday , will do so when I get back.

Comment

The Blu-Ray box set mentioned earlier does look good! Loads of extras and interviews, etc. You won't be getting those on Talking Pictures. So maybe the exposure on Talking Pictures will just act like an extended trailer for the physical product. People will see the broadcast and either be intrigued or not... if they like the movies enough then they'll be drawn to buying the product. Certainly showing the film once or twice on that channel will reach a lot more people than other forms of advertising. Maybe a load of people will watch and record... but if the additional material is interesting enough, then the physical product will sell better for having had the exposure.

Comment

The only DVDs I buy these days are those with worthwhile extras, downloads are now such good quality and readily available that it doesn't make economic sense otherwise.

Comment

A few more Columbia titles to look out for on TPTV (to early August). May be others I have not spotted.....

Interlude

The Southern Star

The Last Man to Hang

Psyche 59

Life at the Top

Surprise Package

Pirates of Blood River H

There's a Girl in My Soup

Mackenna's Gold (US)

You Must Be Joking
                        Last edited by julian_craster; 4th July 2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post
                          For me there would be no contest between a good quality DVD or, even better, a Blu-ray, compared with TPTVs low bandwidth transmissions with annoying DOG in the corner of the screen, interrupted by adverts and not necessarily in the correct aspect ratio (and, although it doesn't affect old British films much, in glorious mono sound).
                          Exactly! As a generality, the audience for Talking Pictures is very different to that of Blu-ray buyers and I'm sure Indicator won't suffer just because TP are showing some of the same films. The only films I watch on TP are rare British films not available on DVD or Blu-ray.

Comment

Working...
                          X