Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Greengage Summer on TPTV tonight.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greengage Summer on TPTV tonight.

Lewis Gilbert's delightful The Greengage Summer is being shown on TPTV tonight at 10.10pm. It's being shown under it's alternative title Loss of Innocence.and stars Kenneth More, Jane Asher, Susannah York and Maurice Denham . I don' think this has been on TV for some time. I trust the greengages will be the right size for those with aspect ratio problems.

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
    I trust the greengages will be the right size for those with aspect ratio problems.
    It was filmed open-matte 1.37:1 with an intended projection ratio of 1.75:1, so at least there'll be no 'pan and scan' nonsense. It just remains to be seen whether anyone at TPTV can be bothered to twiddle a knob somewhere so that we can see what the director intended us to see.

I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.

Comment

Nope. Nary a knob was twiddled.

Comment

Sadly it was shown full frame instead of the correct aspect ratio - same as the DVD.

Comment

For all the many movies filmed 'open matte' in the 1950s/60s it was standard for that whole image to be printed on the 35mm film and for it to be left to the cinema projector to mask the image down to 1.75 to show the image the director intended.

I can't understand why TPTV can't do the same; it's a standard technique. Perhaps they just don't want to.

Yes, it is true that one can adjust the settings on one's TV to 'zoom' the image up to nearly 1.75 but the quality suffers.as the pixels are expanded.

Showing a 4:3 image on a widescreen TV when that image was never meant to be shown in that ratio is to me just pure bonkers

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipW View Post
            Showing a 4:3 image on a widescreen TV when that image was never meant to be shown in that ratio is to me just pure bonkers
            'Bonkers' indeed, and as you, myself, and others, have said previously, it's standard technique throughout the broadcast industry to adjust it accordingly. The fact that TUTV don't bother is both irritating and shoddy.

However, if you keep complaining about it you may well be accused of moaning. So tread carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

'Bonkers' indeed, and as you, myself, and others, have said previously, it's standard technique throughout the broadcast industry to adjust it accordingly. The fact that TUTV don't bother is both irritating and shoddy.

However, if you keep complaining about it you may well be accused of moaning. So tread carefully.
              I assume Talking Pictures broadcast films in the digital format supplied to them by the studios. I don't know what technical ability they have to alter the aspect ratio.

Comment

I've never got involved in the arguments about ratios etc. I have just watched 5 minutes of the recording of Loss of Innocence aka The Greengage Summer to see what all the fuss is about and I have a lovely full screen picture which suits me admirably. Am I missing something ?

Comment

Let us also give praise when they screen a lovely print, as with The Admirable Crichton (1957) and the Cohern Media restorations.....!

Comment

Working...
                  X