Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Rebel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rebel

I see The Rebel is showing on TCM tomorrow. A rare sighting! I can no longer receive this channel. I would be interested to know the quality of the print and the aspect ratio. Any takers?

I will record it and let you know

Comment

Looks a good print.In 4:3 ration with black panels at each side.Interested in a copr?

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it. If I remember I first saw it at the ABC Golders Green and wasn't over impressed at the time. It will be interesting to see it again.

Comment

It also seems to be being shown on Monday 3rd December at 9:55 am

​​​​​​ Steve

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            Looks a good print.In 4:3 ration with black panels at each side.Interested in a copr?
            If it's in 4:3 ratio then it's worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by vanmunchen View Post

If it's in 4:3 ratio then it's worthless.
              Agreed. The DVD is also 4:3, but that isn't the ratio it was shown in theatrically. The usual uninformed cock-up.

Comment

"The Rebel"? For the uninitiated please ... Tony Hancock, Simon Callow ..... or Nick Adams ?
                Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 29th November 2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

As I said in an earlier post I wasn't impressed when I first saw it. 57 years later I'm still not.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                    As I said in an earlier post I wasn't impressed when I first saw it. 57 years later I'm still not.
                    It seems to be one of those 'Marmite' films. It was a box office failure when released, but you'll find people online claiming that it's a masterpiece now.

I agree with your assessment though. I was a massive Hancock fan, but this was a tedious mess.

Comment

I too saw it at the ABC Golders Green on a Sunday 430 programme on 26th March 1961.I paid 4/- so iwas sitting in the circle.I gave it 7/10 so i enjoyed it.I dont think that it is as good as that now.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

It seems to be one of those 'Marmite' films. It was a box office failure when released, but you'll find people online claiming that it's a masterpiece now.

I agree with your assessment though. I was a massive Hancock fan, but this was a tedious mess.
                        It wasn't a box office failure. It was a big hit in the UK. I saw it with my parents and along with most people at the time, we thought it reasonably good (at least until the last half hour when it lost its way) but nowhere near as funny as his TV and radio shows.

Comment

Hancock was at the height of his fame when this was made.This was a period when many tv comedians were being given 3 film contracts that didn't work out
                          ​​​

Comment

I won't hear a word against it (have a look at my avatar). Seriously though I love it and I don't know an artist who doesn't. And the fact that it's not available in it's original aspect ratio is criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Evans View Post
                              ...And the fact that it's not available in it's original aspect ratio is criminal.

Criminally incompetent or criminally lazy. It's either one or t'other. Either way, there's just no excuse for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X