Talking Pictures TV.......... Everything airs in the correct ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
    Not really.So as soon as you see a film on tv in the wrong ratio you turn off?
    Yes I certainly do. As does anyone who cares passionately about how films are presented.

Comment

Thats given me the biggest laugh since Theresa may was defeated in the Commons.
      Last edited by orpheum; 1st February 2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

The Big Gamble shown last night in 4x3 pan and scan, even the credits were squeezed! I'd started recording it but cancelled it when I saw what they were doing to it.

Comment

'They' being Fox rather than TPTV, I think ....
          Fox haven't re-mastered it for 16:9 tv sets..
          Same with Circle of Deception. The Games.....

Comment

'They' being Fox rather than TPTV, I think ....
            Fox haven't re-mastered it for 16:9 tv sets..
            Same with Circle of Deception. The Games.....
            Thats a good point - if studios/distributors have not bothered to come up with a decent version of a film for broadcast, a channel either has to show what it can or not show it at all. And yet, a broadcaster has to seriously think whether to show a 'pan and scan' version at all in this day and age - widescreen TV's have been standard for at least 15 years, and and such version would be in SD as well, which is going to look fairly lousy.

If broadcasters insist on a decent version to broadcast, then suppliers will have to respond, or loose the chance to maximise revenue. If not, us viewer vote with out feet - there is far too much other content out there to think that we will watch any old thing.

Comment

I can remember back in the early 60's ITV used to apologize for showing widescreen films with the top and bottom black bars. The picture did look small on our 19 inch Pye so when they brought in pan and scan we all got a full screen but lost so much more. Little did we know. Now we want to see these films as they were released back in the day only the pan and scan remain. Trouble is we are always trying to catch up with technology and burning bridges at the same time. Like old TV video shows that were wiped because nobody thought they were worth keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                Thats given me the biggest laugh since Theresa may was defeated in the Commons.

Well, at least somebody is amused.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

Thats a good point - if studios/distributors have not bothered to come up with a decent version of a film for broadcast, a channel either has to show what it can or not show it at all. And yet, a broadcaster has to seriously think whether to show a 'pan and scan' version at all in this day and age - widescreen TV's have been standard for at least 15 years, and and such version would be in SD as well, which is going to look fairly lousy.

If broadcasters insist on a decent version to broadcast, then suppliers will have to respond, or loose the chance to maximise revenue. If not, us viewer vote with out feet - there is far too much other content out there to think that we will watch any old thing.
                  Do you think that would make any difference to Sony or Fox?After all their multi million profits are hardly likelyto be affected by what TP pays them.
                  Remember also that TP are the only channel that shows the majority of these films.
                  Mind you for the ultimate viewing experience you need to go to Retro and also Movies4Men.That is of course if they show the advertised film at the advertised time

Comment

Do you think that would make any difference to Sony or Fox?After all their multi million profits are hardly likelyto be affected by what TP pays them.
                    Remember also that TP are the only channel that shows the majority of these films.
                    Mind you for the ultimate viewing experience you need to go to Retro and also Movies4Men.That is of course if they show the advertised film at the advertised time
                    I dont know who owns the rights to the sort of films that TP shows, but I do know that Sony has its own Freeview movie channel, which does at least show their back catalogue films in the correct aspect ratio, etc.

Its great that TP does show these films, but as I have said before, they are ultimately a commercial channel, and the competition for peoples attention these days is vast. There are over 70 channels on Freeview alone, never mind various streaming channels and sources, such as TV PLus, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV, Iplayer and the other channel streaming services, and whatever else you can find on an average smart TV. And if you have Sky or Virgin, the choice is much larger still. So its important to get people to watch and stay watching - and that means making sure that you attend to the basics - like a decent broadcast copy (if possible) and making sure that its in the correct aspect ratio. Its like a shop that really doesnt care about customer service - we dont have to shop there.

Yes, TP is showing a lot of rarities, but its a limited market, and its got to make it an attractive viewing experience.

Movies4Men is better than it was, but thats not saying much. I sort of assume that its a bit like war themed wall paper - its on, but I'm not sure people are paying that much attention.

Comment

wIth the rare exception Sony only shows films from 2000 onwards and no black and white.They own the Columbia Pictures library.Studio Canal own the ABPC,British Lion and Gaumont libraries.TCM have recently shown a few British films such as Privates Progress.Film4 shows vintage films ,though mainly American.Yes there is a lot of choice but notwhen it comes to watching British vintage films.

Comment

Working...
                      X