The Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Birds

On TCM tonight at 11.05,repeated on Friday.

The British science fiction writer John Wyndham was invited to Hollywood by Hitchcock to discuss writing a script for 'The Birds' - sensibly Wyndham, who had never written a script in his life, declined the invitation.

Comment

Lots of classic Hitchcock films I could mention, and this for me is up there with the best of them.

Comment

Put the wind up me when I was a kid and never watched it since.

Comment

As I recall, Alfred Hitchcock introduced a new star to the screen. Tippi Hendren. As I recall, he wanted a Grace Kelly to return to the screen. I think the people of Monaco objected to their princess returning to acting. She declined the role. After the release of The birds, Tippi Hendren did star in a few other films, but, she never made it in Hollywood, as a top actress.

Comment

You will remember the scene in "An American Werewolf in London", where the two young American men enter a pub in an isolated part of Yorkshire. The pub immediately falls silent, and the Americans encounter an instant air of hostility from the locals. Meanwhile, in 'The Birds' Tippi Hedren is the outsider, who is resented by the mother of the man she is dating, played by Rod Taylor. The hostility of the birds to Tippi seems to reflect the hostility of the mother. Is the mother unknowingly projecting hostility in some psychic manner via the birds? That's one interpretation, and it would have something in common with poltergeist activity, which is often said to be associated with the presence of pubescent and teenage girls (and sometimes boys).

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
              You will remember the scene in "An American Werewolf in London", where the two young American men enter a pub in an isolated part of Yorkshire. The pub immediately falls silent, and the Americans encounter an instant air of hostility from the locals. Meanwhile, in 'The Birds' Tippi Hedren is the outsider, who is resented by the mother of the man she is dating, played by Rod Taylor. The hostility of the birds to Tippi seems to reflect the hostility of the mother. Is the mother unknowingly projecting hostility in some psychic manner via the birds? That's one interpretation, and it would have something in common with poltergeist activity, which is often said to be associated with the presence of pubescent and teenage girls (and sometimes boys).
              I read somewhere that the love birds bought from the pet shop had somehow set the other birds off.
              I suppose we will never know!

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

I read somewhere that the love birds bought from the pet shop had somehow set the other birds off.
                One of the reasons given but it is never revealed why the birds started attacking people.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                  As I recall, Alfred Hitchcock introduced a new star to the screen. Tippi Hendren. As I recall, he wanted a Grace Kelly to return to the screen. I think the people of Monaco objected to their princess returning to acting. She declined the role. After the release of The birds, Tippi Hendren did star in a few other films, but, she never made it in Hollywood, as a top actress.
                  I don’t remember Grace Kelly ever being mentioned in connection with The Birds, you may be getting confused with Marnie where she was actually cast and the announcements made before she was obliged to withdraw.

Comment

you are right, my mistake. The birds did well at the cinema. As for Marnie, that film was not successful. That must have been the film that Hitchcock wanted Grace Kelly to star in. In any event, the people of Monaco did not want their princess to return to acting. Tippi Hendren did star in other films, but, she never made it as a top actress.

Comment

I believe that Hitch didn't want to give a reason for the Birds attack as he thought it would make it a sci fi film.

Comment

It was never explained in Daphne du Maurier's original short story. And, as usual, the book bears no resemblance to the film.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                          you are right, my mistake. The birds did well at the cinema. As for Marnie, that film was not successful. That must have been the film that Hitchcock wanted Grace Kelly to star in. In any event, the people of Monaco did not want their princess to return to acting. Tippi Hendren did star in other films, but, she never made it as a top actress.
                          Kelly signed on for Marnie (the script was written specifically for her), had the costume fittings and had a house booked for the Royal family for the duration of the filming. She withdrew at literally the 11th hour, so Hitchcock went with Hedren who he had under personal contract.

It it didn’t do too badly at the box office, not a notch on Psycho or The Birds but it turned a healthy profit.

Comment

There a a number of The Birds era photos of Hitch, Alma and Tippi in this article on the Magnum photographer Philippe Halsman, who is possibly best-known for his photo of Salvador Dalí, some cats and a bucket of water.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-cu...ian-portraits/

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
                              You will remember the scene in "An American Werewolf in London", where the two young American men enter a pub in an isolated part of Yorkshire. The pub immediately falls silent, and the Americans encounter an instant air of hostility from the locals.
                              Including one Rik Mayall!

Comment

Working...
                              X