The Small Back Room on TPTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garth View Post

I remember being very puzzled by this glue man thing. It seemed so weird as to come from an entirely different culture and, for me, highly implausible. So I found it difficult to accept one of the premisses of the plot. The boys in the boat and the waste paper - I don't remember that at all. I'd probably do best to read the Wikipedia entry on the film before watching it again.
    A lot of Archers films can be like that. You need an open mind to accept some of their stranger ideas. But it’s well worth it

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

The glue man man was originally written so that he cut the girl’s dresses but was felt to be too weird & kinky even for The Archers.
      It does make more sense than glue, which suggests hooliganism rather than anything else.

Comment

It does make more sense than glue, which suggests hooliganism rather than anything else.
        But he wasn't a hooligan, he just wanted to stop the girls going out with soldiers because it was preventing the soldiers from attending Colpeper's lectures.
        Of course, at the end, under the closing credits, the soldiers were going to the lectures with the girls

Steve

Comment

But he wasn't a hooligan, he just wanted to stop the girls going out with soldiers because it was preventing the soldiers from attending Colpeper's lectures.
          Of course, at the end, under the closing credits, the soldiers were going to the lectures with the girls

Steve
          I see. Well, you've taught me something there, which I wasn't expecting, so now I'm wondering if you're an impostor who has hacked into Steve's account.

Comment

The Criterion DVD of A CANTERBURY TALE has an excellent commentary by Ian Christie, which places the themes of the film in context...

Also, thereare some great extras including the locations walk led by a very famous person......:
            • Commentary by film historian Ian Christie
            • Scenes from Michael Powell's re-edited American version
            • New video interview with actress Sheila Sim
            • A Pilgrim's Return, a short documentary on actor John Sweet's 2001 return to Canterbury
            • The new documentary A Canterbury Trail by David Thompson
            • "Listen to Britain," a 2001 video-installation piece inspired by the film, by artist Victor Burgin
            • Humphrey Jennings's landmark 1942 documentary Listen to Britain

Last edited by julian_craster; 6th August 2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post
              Also, there are some great extras including the locations walk led by a very famous person.
              Mr Powell himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Fryer View Post
                I watched A Canterbury Tale recently on YouTube - clean forgot that I had the thing on DVD! I can sort of see why general audiences rejected it in 1944, but it more than repays repeated viewings.
                I've always wondered what the name of the music is that's being played in the scenes where the band marches through Canterbury. On this YouTube video, it begins at approximately 1'53"40.
                If anyone has any ideas, I'd be extremely grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMJ8lVXXNP8

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

I've always wondered what the name of the music is that's being played in the scenes where the band marches through Canterbury. On this YouTube video, it begins at approximately 1'53"40.
                  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be extremely grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMJ8lVXXNP8
                  The IMDb page about the film says they're:

Sons of the Brave
                  (uncredited)
                  Written by Thomas Bidgood
                  March played by the military band

Bond of Friendship
                  (uncredited)
                  Written by John MacKenzie Rogan

Steve

Comment

I see. Well, you've taught me something there, which I wasn't expecting, so now I'm wondering if you're an impostor who has hacked into Steve's account.
                    Oh dear, we seem to be getting silly now
                    What have you just been taught. Don't leave us to guess

Steve

Comment

The IMDb page about the film says they're:

Sons of the Brave
                      (uncredited)
                      Written by Thomas Bidgood

Bond of Friendship
                      (uncredited)
                      Written by John MacKenzie Rogan

Steve
                      Thanks for replying Steve, but sadly the music isn't any of the above two marches. I checked the IMDB initially, but it looks as though this particular piece wasn't included on their list, or there was an error made.

Comment

Thanks for replying Steve, but sadly the music isn't any of the above two marches. I checked the IMDB initially, but it looks as though this particular piece wasn't included on their list, or there was an error made.
                        Well they’re the two pieces being played when the band marches through Canterbury. That’s according to a friendly miso who also identified all of the other pieces listed on the IMDb

You can always try one of the music identifying sites

Steve

Comment

Well they’re the two pieces being played when the band marches through Canterbury. That’s according to a friendly miso who also identified all of the other pieces listed on the IMDb

You can always try one of the music identifying sites

Steve
                          It's a mystery to me. I've been through the film, and 'Sons Of The Brave' is definitely heard at around the 1'51"00 mark, but it's the second one which has baffled me. I have the march 'Bond Of Friendship' on a CD, and it's different to the second march heard in the film. It is possible there may be a mistake on the CD listings I guess, but I'll have to investigate a bit further I think. Thanks anyway for your help.

Comment

It's a mystery to me. I've been through the film, and 'Sons Of The Brave' is definitely heard at around the 1'51"00 mark, but it's the second one which has baffled me. I have the march 'Bond Of Friendship' on a CD, and it's different to the second march heard in the film. It is possible there may be a mistake on the CD listings I guess, but I'll have to investigate a bit further I think. Thanks anyway for your help.
                            Or maybe there’s more than one tune with the same title?

i’ll see If I can dig out any more info about it.
                            But I’m quite sure it’s the correct title.

Steve

Comment

Or maybe there’s more than one tune with the same title?

i’ll see If I can dig out any more info about it.
                              But I’m quite sure it’s the correct title.

Steve
                              Thanks Steve, I really appreciate it. If you happen to find anything out, then brilliant. But in all honesty, I'm beginning to suspect there may have been a mis-print on the CD track listings.

Comment

Was their a similar film, filmed in Britain, starring Glenn Ford, bomb disposal expert, defusing a German bomb, somewhere in Britain? As I recall, it was filmed in black and white, released, I think around 1964.

Comment

Working...
                                X