Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstein 1931

Showing on TCM on September 6 at 18.15

I watched an interview recently with Willem Dafoe who singled out Karloff's performance as the greatest he has ever seen on the screen. It was very refreshing to see a modern actor with an appreciation for earlier generations, and, of course, he has a point

Comment

And he did a very good tribute to Max Schreck's Nosferatu in Shadow of the Vampire.

Comment

Another chance to see Dwight Frye after his performance as Renfield in Dracula playing the hunchbacked Fritz. I wonder if The Wolfman will follow the following week.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
          Another chance to see Dwight Frye after his performance as Renfield in Dracula playing the hunchbacked Fritz. I wonder if The Wolfman will follow the following week.
          Never really saw The Wolfman in the same class as Dracula and Frankenstein, and definitely not The Bride of Frankenstein, the best of the lot. Lon Chaney Jr was always strictly second division for me

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Never really saw The Wolfman in the same class as Dracula and Frankenstein, and definitely not The Bride of Frankenstein, the best of the lot. Lon Chaney Jr was always strictly second division for me
            He was brilliant in "Of Mice & Men"!

Comment

Not seen it myself but some critics rate The Ghost of Frankenstein as an excellent film with Chaney playing the creature.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

He was brilliant in "Of Mice & Men"!
                He was playing a pretty one dimensional role, as indeed he played in his ‘monster’ movies as well. I am not knocking Chaney, per se, everything about Universal by the early 1940s was second rate. Denis Gifford summed it up well, they had the Golden Age and then they had the Silver (bullet) Age.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

Not seen it myself but some critics rate The Ghost of Frankenstein as an excellent film with Chaney playing the creature.
                  It’s an entertaining film but Chaney has none of the pathos and subtlety of Karloff and, as mentioned earlier, production values were considerably reduced

Comment

It’s an entertaining film but Chaney has none of the pathos and subtlety of Karloff and, as mentioned earlier, production values were considerably reduced
                    He could sing though!
                    I'm not particularly a fan of Chaney but I feel he was doomed by the shadow of his father.
                    Chronic alcoholism didn't help his career either!

28-year-old Creighton Chaney sings "Thou Art My Baby" from the 1934 movie, "Girl O' My Dreams." He would change his name to Lon Chaney, Jr. before starring i...

Comment

• Ian Fryer
                      Ian Fryer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, Chaney's on-set behaviour, particularly towards female co-stars, apparently left quite a bit to be desired. As a screen presence I rather prefer the raddled, but cheerful countenance he presented in 1950s appearances such as in the Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans television series.

Ian Fryer has a point about Chaney’s onset antics, he was a drunk, basically, and something of a bully, but his worst crime for me (as a cinemagoer) was being a very little actor.

Comment

Working...
                    X