Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thief of Bagdad on Talking Pictures TV

I hope that everyone's enjoying their self-isolation

I see that The Thief of Bagdad (1940) will be shown on Talking Pictures TV (in the UK) on Sunday 26th April at 11:55am

Stars Sabu, Conrad Veidt, John Justin, and June Duprez.
    After being cast out of Bagdad, King Ahmad joins with a thief named Abu to reclaim his throne.

Enjoy

Steve

Apparently Talking Pictures TV is suffering greatly from the loss of advertising revenue due to you know what. Hope it lasts until Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post
      Apparently Talking Pictures TV is suffering greatly from the loss of advertising revenue due to you know what. Hope it lasts until Sunday.
      I have it on DVD anyway

Steve

Comment

John Justin lived across the road from me when I was a kid. When I saw him on Thief, it changed my view of him completely. I never actually spoke to him (this was London, nobody "talks", not even to a neighbour), but I used to see him taking a walk every day, going shopping, etc. That was from '67 - '87, so he would have been 50 - 70 years old... not the virile fresh-faced leading man in Thief (aged approx 23).

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
          this was London, nobody "talks", not even to a neighbour
          I've never believed that nobody talks. I live in London yet I regularly speak to most of my neighbours. I also used to talk to strangers on the tube & buses when I used to travel on them.

Maybe I'm just weird

Steve

Comment

Perhaps, Steve, you are "that person"!

But of course I exaggerated for effect. There was plenty of neighbourly love around my streets and quite a few actors lived nearby. Sometimes I even spoke to regular people

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
              Perhaps, Steve, you are "that person"!
              Oh, I am definitely “that person”

The weirdo who talks to all of the neighbours and to strangers wherever I am.

If if you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours

Steve

Comment

On the subject of Talking Pictures, they appear to be having trouble with advertising revenue during the current crisis and are asking for viewers of this fabulous channel to spread the word about how good and popular the channel is in the hope that companies who advertise on TV might hear about it, if they haven't already and think of putting their business with Talking Pictures. .I'm sure that we will do all we can to help spread the word.

Comment

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have written to the CEO of a major public company of which I am a shareholder suggesting they consider advertising withTP.He has confirmed he will refer this to his marketing department.
                  Crowd funding is also a possibility

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                On the subject of Talking Pictures, they appear to be having trouble with advertising revenue during the current crisis and are asking for viewers of this fabulous channel to spread the word about how good and popular the channel is in the hope that companies who advertise on TV might hear about it, if they haven't already and think of putting their business with Talking Pictures. .I'm sure that we will do all we can to help spread the word.
                But why do they have to interrupt films with adverts?
                Can’t they just put all of the ads between the films?

Steve

Comment

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is no commercial channel I know that doesn't interupt with commercials.Sony every 10 minutes.

This is standard practice on all non-BBC free to air channels...

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post

This is standard practice on all non-BBC free to air channels...

Which is why we love the Beeb.
                  Last edited by Steve Crook; 25 April 2020, 12:28 PM. Reason: Speeling

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Which is why we love the Beeb.
                    Exactly

Isn't it amazing how the (various) government people had been regularly knocking the Beeb & the NHS but now that we're all in these dire straits, everybody loves 'em

Steve

Comment

Surprised you haven't mentioned Blimp on BBC2 tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                        Surprised you haven't mentioned Blimp on BBC2 tomorrow.
                        I did, at https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/li...-blimp-on-bbc2

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X