Peeping Tom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeping Tom

On Talking Pictures Friday 24th July @ 10pm.

Everybody’s favourite psychological thriller

Although some misguided people insist on thinking of it as a horror film

Steve

Comment

Not that I want to get involved in the usual disagreement on Peeping Tom I notice that Talking Pictures in their Weekly Highlights describe it as Horror.

Comment

• Steve Crook
        Steve Crook commented
        Editing a comment
        You can always argue when you’re right and the “majority” are wrong.

Steve

• orpheum
        orpheum commented
        Editing a comment
        9 out of 10 people questioned in Tesco this morning said PT is a horror film

• Steve Crook
        Steve Crook commented
        Editing a comment
        So what? 9 out of 10 people can be wrong. After all, they went to Tesco It’s not a democratic vote. We work on facts not public opinion.

This debate seems to go on ad infinitum!

Comment

• Steve Crook
        Steve Crook commented
        Editing a comment
        If only people would understand that I’m always right

Steve

One man's psychological thriller is another man's horror film.

Comment

• Steve Crook
        Steve Crook commented
        Editing a comment
        In my book, as horror film should contain an element of horror

Or you’ll be classifying Bambi as a horror film because of the shocking (off camera) death.

This is my last word on the subject (I'm fed up with this particular discussion which always rears its head) - the greatness of the film is that it transcends whatever genre tropes (and they include sexploitation and films about the film industry among others) it originated from to become a work of art in its own right, to rank alongside the great films of World cinema, and that's the real point.

Comment

This a film which lends itself to a good old ding dong.After all its a rather gruesome film.Nat Cohen probably saw it as a companion piece to Konga

Comment

• starofshonteff
          starofshonteff commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, it does ramble. The interesting thing I found though was that the film was not the commercial disaster I had always assumed, but "played to very large audiences all over the country" in independent cinemas over the summer of 1960 after being withdrawn by the ABC circuit.

• Steve Crook
          Steve Crook commented
          Editing a comment
          See The Myths Associated with Peeping Tom at http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Re.../TheMyths.html especially Myth #2 “Peeping Tom was withdrawn from release after the bad reviews“.

• starofshonteff
          starofshonteff commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link Steve. Heffernan claims the ABC chain withdrew it after the week starting May 22nd (as shown in your What's On ad ). As a week was the standard length for a circuit booking of the day, that would have been ample opportunity for those interested to get to see it. Then it returned to the West End at the Gala Royal Marble Arch in June followed by bookings on the small Jacey circuit and in other indie provincial cinemas across the summer. No excuse to miss it really!

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
        This is my last word on the subject (I'm fed up with this particular discussion which always rears its head) - the greatness of the film is that it transcends whatever genre tropes (and they include sexploitation and films about the film industry among others) it originated from to become a work of art in its own right, to rank alongside the great films of World cinema, and that's the real point.
        It didn't rear its head. Steve deliberately and mischievously mentioned it. I think Nick Dando should give him a suspension for that.

I doubt I'd call it a great work of art. It has an undercurrent of misogyny in its murders, similar to Hitchcock's Frenzy. Interesting that Anna Massey appeared in both.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Everybody’s favourite psychological thriller

Although some misguided people insist on thinking of it as a horror film

Steve
          Wikipedia's description should keep everybody happy. "A British psychological horror-thriller film"

Comment

• orpheum
            orpheum commented
            Editing a comment
            I reckon that Steve has gone on to Wikipedia and edited the description.

I’d say it was a thriller. Either way it bored the pants off me.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post
            I’d say it was a thriller. Either way it bored the pants off me.
            As long as you don’t think that it’s a horror film I don’t really mind whether your pants are on or off.

Steve

Comment

I just looked on the P&P site and it is described as a horror film.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                I just looked on the P&P site and it is described as a horror film.
                No, it quotes some other sites which foolishly describe it as a horror film. They are left on the site so that people can compare them to the page(s) about Myths Associated With Peeping Tom at http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Re.../TheMyths.html

BTW why are you (& a few others here) so determined to prove that it’s a horror film when there’s nothing horrific in it?

Steve

Comment

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I typed is PT a horror film.All sites shown on the first page used the word horror.So I am clearly in a majority

• orpheum
                  orpheum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In 2010 the Guardian listed it as the best horror film of all time

• Steve Crook
                  Steve Crook commented
                  Editing a comment
                  > So I am clearly in a majority

But does that make you right?
                  You’re thinking that the internet is a democracy

I’m in 100% agreement here with Steve and believe me I’m sometimes not. Just because the Guardian labels it a horror film doesn’t mean it is. It plays like a thriller, looks like a thriller, feels like a thriller.

Comment

This whole horror v thriller thing is becoming increasingly tedious. I sometimes wonder if it's being done to wind Steve up rather than being based on a genuinely mistaken belief that it's a horror film.

Comment

Working...
                  X