• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you could look it up on RadioTimes:

https://www.radiotimes.com/radio-pro...d-the-machine/

or the Radio 2 pages on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl8v/2020/11/08

Comment

Thanks Nick, looks like it's definitely not on. Hopefully postponed till the following Sunday

Comment

Best to check nearer the time, and listen out on the radio too as there may be other short notice changes. What's listed on RadioTimes or the BBC isn't necessarily what ends up being broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

Hi Steve, can you please do me a favour by glancing through Radio 2 programmes for 9pm on Sunday night which should be the last of Bill Kenwright's Golden Years programme. I've gone through my Sky Planner to record it but they are advertising a different programme. Your help would be appreciated.
        Hello, Radio Times says that Radio 2 will be broadcasting a concert by Florence & the Machine at 9pm next Sunday, 8th Nov.

Steve

Comment

• tv horror
          tv horror commented
          Editing a comment
          See Steve just proved how useful the magazine still is, way to go.

• Steve Crook
          Steve Crook commented
          Editing a comment
          Well really it’s just about the same as the website that Nick mentioned in post #14. Although the magazine is easier to mark with the interesting looking programs.

• cassidy
          cassidy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks to both Nick and Steve for your help. I wonder if Bill will read out my email thanking him for his praise of Talking Pictures when his programme returns on the 15th.

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

I'm amazed it's called "Radio Times" instead of "TV Times"!
        Should be called 'Wireless times' really, Radio wasn't a common word in the good old days of the 1920's and 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

Should be called 'Wireless times' really, Radio wasn't a common word in the good old days of the 1920's and 30's

It doesn't look as if you'll be needing those rose-tinted spectacles I was going to buy you for Christmas Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
            Should be called 'Wireless times' really, Radio wasn't a common word in the good old days of the 1920's and 30's.
            It was obviously a commonly used enough word in 1924 for them to decide to call the listings magazine Radio TImes or nobody would know what they were listing

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

It doesn't look as if you'll be needing those rose-tinted spectacles I was going to buy you for Christmas Mark.
              Lol, though compared to all the terrorism and strife of more recent decades, most of it was good and innocent........

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

It was obviously a commonly used enough word in 1924 for them to decide to call the listings magazine Radio TImes or nobody would know what they were listing

Steve
                Maybe, though the late Queen Mother referred to what's known as a Radio 'the wireless', all her life........

'Radio' sounds more military, such as'Radio operator', and Wireless in the home.

Just saying like........

Comment

It was obviously a commonly used enough word in 1924 for them to decide to call the listings magazine Radio TImes or nobody would know what they were listing.

Steve
                  Why not? If anything at all, the other way around, because "wireless" was more widely-used than "radio" back then ( in this particular context). It took another couple of decades for "radio" to overtake "wireless" in common usage and certainly by the 1950s the latter was a very old-fashioned term.

Nowadays, "Radio Times" seems an old-fashioned title because it doesn't convey the inclusion of TV programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Why not? If anything at all, the other way around, because "wireless" was more widely-used than "radio" back then ( in this particular context). It took another couple of decades for "radio" to overtake "wireless" in common usage and certainly by the 1950s the latter was a very old-fashioned term.
                    You have to think about (not guess) what was common in 1923 when they decided on the name.

Anyway, everyone now knows that it's the best magazine for radio & TV listings

Steve

Comment

You have to think about (not guess) what was common in 1923 when they decided on the name.

Anyway, everyone now knows that it's the best magazine for radio & TV listings

Steve
                      I don't need to think about it (or guess), because it's something of which I'm already well aware.

Comment

Steve
                        What about The Listener magazine did that list any radio shows or was it more a highlights orientated issue.

Comment

The Listener was not a listings magazine. I bought a copy in the 1980s and found it a difficult read as it was aimed at a higher-brow audience. It provided a much more in-depth discussion of certain programmes and featured a lot of technical jargon related to the broadcasting industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Li...%28magazine%29

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

'Silence' is a tough watch, but well worth it. I don't remember it attracting much attention when it was released.
                            Yes, it was another film with Marty trying to assuage his Catholic guilt. Interesting, but not great IMHO.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X