On TV next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On TV next week

Looking through the listings in next week’s Radio Times I see some interesting films being shown:

Saturday 7 Nov, TPTV @ 22:20
    Peeping Tom (1960)

Saturday 7 Nov, BBC2 @ 23:20
    Silence (2016) by Martin Scorsese
    It’s Marty’s film about 17th century Jesuit missionaries in Japan

Sunday 8 Nov, TPTV @ 14:20
    The Thief of Bagdad (1940)

and as a special bonus:
    Thursday 12 Nov, Horror channel @ 21:00
    Tremors (1989)
    A very clever comedy horror

Enjoy!!

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Saturday 7 Nov, BBC2 @ 23:20
    Silence (2016) by Martin Scorsese
    It’s Marty’s film about 17th century Jesuit missionaries in Japan

'Silence' is a tough watch, but well worth it. I don't remember it attracting much attention when it was released.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

'Silence' is a tough watch, but well worth it. I don't remember it attracting much attention when it was released.
      It’s one of the few Scorsese films I haven’t seen yet so I’m looking forward to ticking it off from my list.

Steve

Comment

Steve I'm more amazed that you still buy the Radio Times! Most if not all of television are repeats and I know that the magazine is not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
          Steve I'm more amazed that you still buy the Radio Times! Most if not all of television are repeats and I know that the magazine is not cheap.
          Habit. Although it's also still very good for radio coverage and has a decent letters page.

Steve

Comment

• tv horror
            tv horror commented
            Editing a comment
            I forgot about the Radio listings thanks for the reply Steve.

I'm amazed it's called "Radio Times" instead of "TV Times"!

Comment

TV times is the ITV equivalent Shirl.
            What's the standard of TV like in Aussie Shirl?

Comment

RadioTimes was first published in 1923, well before television finally arrived, and radio was dominant until the 1950s and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Comment

You have to buy a copy at Christmas - it's the Law!

Comment

• tv horror
                  tv horror commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only if it has a horror cover! Although I do own most of the Dr Who covers and the Christmas ghost story issues.

Originally posted by GBH View Post

You have to buy a copy at Christmas - it's the Law!
                Christmas is not Christmas without the Radio Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                  RadioTimes was first published in 1923, well before television finally arrived, and radio was dominant until the 1950s and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
                  Past history. It seems extraordinary to me that in all these decades the title has never been updated to reflect the changed content. Presumably radio programmes are still included, but surely TV programmes would be dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
                    TV times is the ITV equivalent Shirl.
                    OK, then maybe TV Week, or TV Guide?

What's the standard of TV like in Aussie Shirl?
                    A mix of trash and treasure, Tigon Man. On the down side, far too many cooking shows, reality shows, home renovation shows, home shopping, unfunny so-called comedy shows, repeats of inane American sitcoms - but also too many repeats of British shows, even though most are good ones.

And far too much violence.

The majority of all the above are on the commercial channels.

Thankfully, we have the ABC, our national broadcaster, and SBS, which is 80% government-owned. These provide a wide variety of good programmes and are the best ones to watch for news and current affairs.

SBS (Special Broadcasting Services) started out as a multicultural channel. As well as the original analogue channel now in HD, it has SBS Viceland Young Demographic, SBS World Movies Dedicated movie channel for Australian & international movies, SBS Food Food and cooking channel and NITV National Indigenous Television.

Comment

• Tigon Man
                      Tigon Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm glad to see that it's not just us here in the old country, who have a surfeit of cookery shows!
                      Mind you wasn't it the Aussies, who introduced us to the Galloping Gourmet..

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                    It seems extraordinary to me that in all these decades the title has never been updated to reflect the changed content. Presumably radio programmes are still included, but surely TV programmes would be dominant.
                    Not so extraordinary, just no point in changing a well known brand. Yes, Radio Times still has very good coverage of all of the main BBC radio channels. I usually get the Radio Times delivered on a Tuesday and that gives me until the Friday to go through the listings and to mark up everything & anything that looks like it might be interesting. The Radio Times week runs from Saturday. Everything that's been marked up gets recorded. When I watch (or listen to) it in the next few days, if it's not as good as I thought it might have been then I just skip onto the next thing recorded. I'm advertisers worst nightmare, I just skip through the ads. I very rarely watch (or listen to) anything as it is broadcast.

Steve

Comment

I'm advertisers worst nightmare, I just skip through the ads. I very rarely watch (or listen to) anything as it is broadcast.

Steve
                      That's the norm for me nowadays. I rarely, if ever, watch anything live. I used to watch the News live, but the presenting and reporting standards on all News channels has plummeted in recent years.

Comment

Not so extraordinary, just no point in changing a well known brand. Yes, Radio Times still has very good coverage of all of the main BBC radio channels. I usually get the Radio Times delivered on a Tuesday and that gives me until the Friday to go through the listings and to mark up everything & anything that looks like it might be interesting. The Radio Times week runs from Saturday. Everything that's been marked up gets recorded. When I watch (or listen to) it in the next few days, if it's not as good as I thought it might have been then I just skip onto the next thing recorded. I'm advertisers worst nightmare, I just skip through the ads. I very rarely watch (or listen to) anything as it is broadcast.

Steve
                        Hi Steve, can you please do me a favour by glancing through Radio 2 programmes for 9pm on Sunday night which should be the last of Bill Kenwright's Golden Years programme. I've gone through my Sky Planner to record it but they are advertising a different programme. Your help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X