Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Yellow Canary (1943)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Canary (1943)

BBC2 digs deeper into its barrel of rarely screened films with a second world war tale of intrigue and suspense. Yellow Canary is on Saturday 11th March BBC2 06.35 to 08.10, and stars the great dame Anna Neagle, and directed by hubby Herbert Wilcox. Get up early or set your recorder !.

I'm going to record it as the Spanish commercial DVD doesn't include the night-club scene with Cyril Fletcher, which is the crux of the whole film, setting up Anna Neagle as a traitor. The rest of the DVD is very good, but this missing scene is so important to the plot, that I can't recommend its purchase.

Nick

Comment

I was never a fan of Anna Neagle but I like this film which is very underrated. I have the Spanish disc but also backed it up with a tv recording some while ago and which includes the night club scene and this will, I hope, be included on the tv next Saturday. It's about time this was commercially released in the UK - come on Renown, Network or whoever.

Comment

Originally posted by bertie View Post
        I was never a fan of Anna Neagle but I like this film which is very underrated. I have the Spanish disc but also backed it up with a tv recording some while ago and which includes the night club scene and this will, I hope, be included on the tv next Saturday. It's about time this was commercially released in the UK - come on Renown, Network or whoever.
        Since the film was made for RKOit is likely that Warmers would have the rights.

Comment

I presume that ownership by American studios is the reason why a number of other British war films (or all types of films) e.g. The Two-headed Spy, The Weaker Sex, Count Five and Die don't get any dvd release but just linger in US company vaults.

Comment

I think the BBC acquired the British television rights to RKO films decades ago.

Comment

So I decided to watch it again and was not disappointed. Still wish we could have a UK official dvd but seems this is pretty unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by bertie View Post
                I presume that ownership by American studios is the reason why a number of other British war films (or all types of films) e.g. The Two-headed Spy, The Weaker Sex, Count Five and Die don't get any dvd release but just linger in US company vaults.
                Could this explain why a British film sometimes gets released in the USA but not in the UK? I know it's not a problem if you have a multi-region player, but it's quite bizarre how you are sometimes restricted to buying an American disc of a UK film.

Comment

Working...
                X