Making screen grabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making screen grabs

Is there any way to make screen grabs from a dvd which is designed to work only in "Play Only" devices? The disc in question wil not load into my computer.

Well the first thing you need to do is to get it to play in something. Once you’ve done that then we can offer a few options to get a screen-grab.

Don’t worry (yet) about it being a “Play Only” disc. Once it’s playing then you can see it so you can get a capture from it.

Steve

Comment

Have you tried it in VLC, Christopher? That usually opens most discs and is free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Comment

Steve - It will play in a "Play Only" device which means that I can watch it BUT not make grabs.

mariocki - I use VLC all the time but seeing as the disc is made to work in "Play Only" devices it blocks VLC from working. It seems that one needs some sort of programme (or whatever it would be called) to undo the "Play Only" aspect of the dvd.

Comment

Might sound silly but have you tried pausing the scene you want then take a photo of it and then upload that photo to where you want it put?

Comment

No, that's not silly for it's what I used to do before I became aware that one could actually make screen grabs in a computer. As expected photographing a screen isn't too useful, better than nothing, but not very good on the quality front.

Comment

You use the phrase "play-only". All DVDs are play-only, apart from rewritable discs. I've never heard of a DVD which will play in a DVD reader but not a DVD writer. I suppose it might be DVD-R rather than DVD+R or vice versa (these are two slightly different formats). Is it a commercial DVD or is it a writable DVD that someone has made? And is it definitely a DVD rather than a BluRay disc?

What happens when you put the DVD in a computer drive? You may find that the PC automatically tries to play the disc in its pre-configured player software, but you should be able to see it as a drive letter in Windows Explorer. You should find that there is a top-level folder VIDEO_TS containing various files that have extensions .VOB and .IFO (eg video_ts.vob, vts_01.vob, vts_02.vob). Can you see those?

If you can see the file contents, you could try playing in VLC and see what happens - what error messages etc.

If it will play in VLC but for some reason the grab-still button doesn't work, you may be able to do a screen-copy using the Print Screen button on the computer keyboard and then paste that copied image into an image-editing program and crop off everything except the video picture.

Otherwise you're probably stuck with playing the disc in a dedicated DVD player that is connected to a TV and photographing the screen. If you happen to have an analogue video capture device, you could capture the still from the SCART output of the DVD player - if your player has SCART as well as HDMI.

Comment

Pop a DVD into a laptop. Pause the screen at the point you wish and then press F11 (Print Screen), sometimes Ctrl at the same time depending on your device. Then save the photo.

Comment

Just to clarify, this is what it says on the back of the case with this Warner Brothers Archive Collection disc:-

'This disc is expected to play back in dvd video "Play Only" devices, and may not play back in other dvd devices, including recorders and PC drives.'

This is not the first time I've seen this message so this obviously not some sort of one-off aberration.

This disc will play in a dvd player I have and I guess that is viewed as a "Play Only" device but naturally I cannot make grabs with that device. I could photograph the screen but, as I've already mentioned, the quality isn't up to much.

This disc will not play in my computer. When the disc is inserted it makes some sounds and after 15 or 20, with nothing ever appearing on the screen, the disc is automatically ejected. So that appears to support the manufacturers comment 'may not play back in other dvd devices, including recorders and PC drives.'

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
                    Just to clarify, this is what it says on the back of the case with this Warner Brothers Archive Collection disc:-

'This disc is expected to play back in dvd video "Play Only" devices, and may not play back in other dvd devices, including recorders and PC drives.'

This is not the first time I've seen this message so this obviously not some sort of one-off aberration.

This disc will play in a dvd player I have and I guess that is viewed as a "Play Only" device but naturally I cannot make grabs with that device. I could photograph the screen but, as I've already mentioned, the quality isn't up to much.

This disc will not play in my computer. When the disc is inserted it makes some sounds and after 15 or 20, with nothing ever appearing on the screen, the disc is automatically ejected. So that appears to support the manufacturers comment 'may not play back in other dvd devices, including recorders and PC drives.'
                    There are issues when putting one of these Warner Brothers Archive Collection discs in your PC and that is, It might get stuck in there and will not come out even after pressing the eject button etc etc.

It's something in the encryption that they use on the discs that make them NOT play on laptops or PC.

But it should play fine in a PS3 .
                    Last edited by Silver Bullet; 8 June 2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

As I've already made it crystal clear that the disc ejects itself without me having to touch the eject button.

I want to make grabs, as I've also made crystal clear, so can you make grabs from a PS3? I can already play the disc, so that isn't a need of mine, my ONLY problem is not being able to make grabs. That's all.

Comment

As I've already made it crystal clear that the disc ejects itself without me having to touch the eject button.

I want to make grabs, as I've also made crystal clear, so can you make grabs from a PS3? I can already play the disc, so that isn't a need of mine, my ONLY problem is not being able to make grabs. That's all.
                        Okay,No need to get shirty I was only trying to help.

Comment

Ah fine. The PC drive ejects it before you can see the contents. I wasn't sure from your earlier description whether it was visible at Windows Explorer level but failed to play in VLC etc.

Hmmm. They've really tied that disc up with security :-( I think you are only left with analogue capture from SCART output of a DVD player which is old enough to have that output - or photographing the screen. I've not come across discs that do this. All the DVDs I've tried are recognised by a PC drive and can be played - the only funny was one disc which could only be played from beginning to end but didn't allow you to move the timeline to skip forwards or backwards.

But yours fails much earlier. The drive is spitting it out because it can't recognise the format as valid.

Comment

Well I guess I'll have to accept that I cannot make grabs from this disc and perhaps, at some stage, take snaps when playing in on a "Play Only" device.

Comment

You need to rip the contents off the disk before trying to view/play it. Then you can play the content files (.vob, .ifo, .bup) direct from your computer.

Try DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink (you might need to come back here for detailed steps if you aren't successful).

There other ripping programs I'll check on if these 2 aren't any help.

EDIT : Another one is DVDFab HD Decrypter

EDIT 2 : You could try converting the DVD to a computer video file. MakeMKV for an .mkv file, or Vidcoder for an .mkv or .mp4 file. Then you can play these files on a computer and get your screen grabs (Daum Potplayer is an excellent option for this).
                              Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 10 June 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X