Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

V6 (Virgin) set top box recordings onto a DVDr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 (Virgin) set top box recordings onto a DVDr

If anyone out there has a V6 set top box (Virgin)

How do you take the recordings off the box itself and onto a DVDr directly from the box?

As the DVD Recorder has a different scart socket to the one on the back of the V6 set top box grrrrrrr
    Last edited by Metro1962; 25th October 2017, 05:48 PM.

There was a discussion about something similar line here https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/li...own-like/page7 .

Looking at the spec for the new box (I seemingly pay Virgin a vast amount of money, but dont even have their TV services..), its got a scart connection via adapter http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/virgin-v6 . But, as that other thread showed, just because its got a scart connection (and you lucky to even have that, considering its 4K capable), does not mean you can just connect it up to a DVD recorder.

A quick google found this on the virgin forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...g/td-p/3331942 , so you are nnot alone. And its seems a nightmare, because the box isn't designed to do this. You can buy adapters, etc, and seemingly might work.

My advice would be - dont bother. If you have a DVD recorder, then use the Freeview tuner if you can, but it seems a faff to buy splitters, convertors, etc, if you can get the media in another way. The Virgin box isn't really designed to output in that way, not to a DVD recorder and frankly, isn't really designed to be used with a scart at all, The technology has kind of moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

My advice would be - dont bother. If you have a DVD recorder, then use the Freeview tuner if you can, but it seems a faff to buy splitters, convertors, etc, if you can get the media in another way. The Virgin box isn't really designed to output in that way, not to a DVD recorder and frankly, isn't really designed to be used with a scart at all, The technology has kind of moved on.
      Thanks for your reply.

The reason why is I want the recordings off it and have been looking to find a way of doing it but alas..

Comment

Seemingly its not impossible, but its a bit of a faff.

Comment

Seemingly its not impossible, but its a bit of a faff.
          The scart on the V6 box I am told has been disabled so I need to find another way around this problem.too
          grrrrr.

Comment

Its not a scart as such, but an adapter - which I assume does output. But after that, then yes, its a faff.

Comment

Whilst as has already been said there was recent correspondence on this subject, would not the answer be to buy a used Virgin Box - one of the older type which supports recording on to a DVD. No reason why this should not work if you transfer your Smart card. You can usually find some for sale on Ebay at give away prices so you haven't much to lose if it does not work. I still use one of the older boxes probably because there has never been a need to renew it and it works and records on all channels without any difficulty including Catch up TV if you have missed anything.

Comment

Originally posted by johng View Post
                Whilst as has already been said there was recent correspondence on this subject, would not the answer be to buy a used Virgin Box - one of the older type which supports recording on to a DVD. No reason why this should not work if you transfer your Smart card. .
                If you have a newer box the older box gets deactivated so you can not get access to the recordings that have been done already (I have an older box for a limited time whch will be deactivated soon)

Your suggesting starting from scratch which defeats the object of having a new box connected up to a recorder..

Comment

I appreciate the point you are making and it is unfortunate that the present set up no longer appears to let you do what you want. All I was suggesting was that if there was a particular programme which you specifically wanted on DVD rather than a HD then you could presumably connect up the older box for that programme. A bit of bother but at least you would get the programme on to a DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by johng View Post
                    All I was suggesting was that if there was a particular programme which you specifically wanted on DVD rather than a HD then you could presumably connect up the older box for that programme. A bit of bother but at least you would get the programme on to a DVD?
                    I wish it was that simple but Virgin do deactivate the older boxes and therefore NO signal would get through to an older box,the only way to do that is to pay an additional fee for the extra box to receive the signals.

Comment

I have an older Virgin box. I wanted to update it to get all of the latest features & extra storage. But when I asked them if things stored on the older box could be transferred - but they said that they couldn’t

that’s a shame because I’ve got some previous stuff on there, like my appearance on The One Show and a collection of P&P films

Does anyone have any good suggestions for how I can save / recover them to some other medium?

Steve

Comment

Does anyone have any good suggestions for how I can save / recover them to some other medium?
                        Have a look at the recent thread about Virgin boxes - it depends on the model as to what you can do. And even then, you'll need extra kit, because you'll have to output to a DVD, or possibly a PC which can then burn to a DVD.

As for the P & P films, blu ray is probably the easiest thing to do. I've long suggested to customers that if they have VHS tapes that need transferring (not that there are many these days), then sort them first. Personal, yes. Unable to be sourced from elsewhere - fine. If they are available on DVD or blu ray, then buying it will be easier, quicker, and probably better quality. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                          I have an older Virgin box. I wanted to update it to get all of the latest features & extra storage. But when I asked them if things stored on the older box could be transferred - but they said that they couldn’t
                          Not sure I understand those bits in bold Steve?

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Steve

it depends on the model as to what you can do. And even then, you'll need extra kit, because you'll have to output to a DVD,
                          If you have an older Virgin box and a DVD recorder the only kit you need is a couple of scart leads and that's all.
                          Last edited by Metro1962; 2nd November 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
                            Not sure I understand those bits in bold Steve?
                            I said that I have an older Virgin box because it's not their current model. I've had it for a while now

I said "But when I asked them if things stored on the older box could be transferred - but they said that they couldn’t" because I asked them if stored programmes could be transferred to their new box and they said that they couldn't

If you have an older Virgin box and a DVD recorder the only kit you need is a couple of scart leads and that's all.
                            So I need to buy a DVD recorder - thanks

Steve

Comment

So I need to buy a DVD recorder - thanks
                              But they are increasingly difficult (although this article is wrong - its simply an old tech, with lots of limitations, which does something that most people dont require) and expensive to get (the cheapest on Ebay starts about £25), since they havn't been made in a good five years. On the other hand, if you can get a capture card etc for your PC, you can edit and burn on that, which is much more cost effective. However, PC's dont use scarts, hence the extra kit, whichever way you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X