Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

V6 (Virgin) set top box recordings onto a DVDr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

But they are increasingly difficult (although this article is wrong -
    I've just finished reading the article you have linked to (thanks for that), and the part which says about broadcasters being paranoid about consumers being able to record permanently onto a Blu-ray disc caught my attention. I can understand why they would prefer you purchased a film commercially rather than record it, but there are many programmes which are simply not available to buy.

I've stopped subscribing to Sky Movies some time ago now as I found it irritating the way they made the end credits totally unreadable by squeezing them into a corner of the screen. I suspected this could be to deter people from recording them, but what I found odd was they always squeezed the cast list as soon as the credits rolled - which is really what you probably want to read - and then filled the screen again to show the rest of the credits. No disrespect to the film crew, but I'm more interested in reading the names of the actors/actresses who appeared in the film rather than who swept the floor when filming finished.

Steve mentioned his appearance on The One Show - a similar sort of thing to me in that the firm I work for featured on Newsnight a few years ago and I could be seen (albeit very briefly) in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

I've just finished reading the article you have linked to (thanks for that), and the part which says about broadcasters being paranoid about consumers being able to record permanently onto a Blu-ray disc caught my attention. I can understand why they would prefer you purchased a film commercially rather than record it, but there are many programmes which are simply not available to buy..
      And when they are available to buy it is not always the way it was broadcast in the first place (due to cuts and or replacement music) Now I am a big fan of Only Fools and Horses,Now I can buy the complete series set commercially quite cheap too but why should I? They have been cut to pieces on DVD/and Blu Ray,BBC are notorious for this and their other shows as well because they will not pay the extra licensing expense

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

I've stopped subscribing to Sky Movies some time ago now

It would not surprise me if Sky still cut their movies and tv shows.

Comment

I've just finished reading the article you have linked to (thanks for that), and the part which says about broadcasters being paranoid about consumers being able to record permanently onto a Blu-ray disc caught my attention. I can understand why they would prefer you purchased a film commercially rather than record it, but there are many programmes which are simply not available to buy.
        And thats the part which misunderstands what the bulk of consumers do, hence the problem. The bulk of viewers, be it via terrestial or cable (which is the bulk of the US market), just watch. Its about 35% live in the US, with much of the rest recorded, plus of course streaming/on demand in the US. And if anyone has ever watched HBO, etc, a first run film will be loudly trailed, played, and then repeated over and over again for the next month or so. If you want to record it, fine, but to be honest, if you wanted it, you might already have it. And I notice that Wonder Woman on blu ray is $14.99 from Best Buy brand new - so why bother?

The broadcasters dont really care if you record it, put it on DVD and then flog it in the market (although with DOGS, etc, its not exactly a lucrative market). But the rights holders might, which is why you'll seldom find films on Iplayer, and if you do, seldom for very long - Netflix and Amazon, etc has paid good money for the rights to stream that film, and having it for free elsewhere isn't going to please them. And no, they wouldn't be overjoyed if people record copies for themselves, but since the internet exists, thats not their biggest problem. Quite simply, nobody makes DVD recorders because hardly anyone wanted to buy them even 5 years ago - its not a conspiracy, just the market.

For a relatively small part of the audience, they do watch to record and keep material, which isn't going to be available on DVD. But its a relatively small part of the market. People who make kit have to make lots of them. And since most people dont want to record on disc (too short), and not in SD (we live in an HD world), thats a niche market. You can buy a blu ray player/recorder that burns discs, but the reality is that they are much more expensive to make, and you dont sell a lot of them - hence the high price and relative scarcity.

Sky's reason for squeezing end titles is boringly basic - time is money. You can tell everyone about other films your going to show, because although you have to show the end-titles, hardly anyone actually reads them.

Buying programmes commercially has its good and bad points. Yes, there can be edits of of programmes, but all too often, there is more on the box set release than was originally broadcast. Watching Buffy at the moment, I'm positive there are subjects and language that were not in the original - I certainly dont remember Buffy saying the word p*****d at 6pm on BBC2, but its certainly in the boxset.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
          It would not surprise me if Sky still cut their movies and tv shows.
          Well years ago they would occasionally broadcast, for example, a '15' rated film (normally an 8.00pm watershed) earlier in the day which would be edited for language or violence and basically brings it down to a 'PG' rating. However, I do recall watching True Lies (Schwarzenegger) sometime in the late 90's which was shown around midnight, and there were edits made for sure as I discovered when watching the DVD a couple of years or so later.

I like Only Fools and Horses too, and I'm sure I read that they edited an episode called 'A Royal Flush' on the DVD. I don't recall watching the episode when originally broadcast, so I don't know what's missing but I gather there were actually large chunks of it removed for some reason. This is actually my least favourite episode I have to confess.

Comment

Sky's reason for squeezing end titles is boringly basic - time is money. You can tell everyone about other films your going to show, because although you have to show the end-titles, hardly anyone actually reads them.
            I realise there's always a rush by broadcasters to tell us what's coming next, and they always used voice-overs in the past. I don't personally sit through the entire credit sequence in films, but I do like to read the names of the cast. In my opinion, this is what they should leave intact as I would imagine this is probably what would be of most interest to viewers. I'm not really bothered who the assistant best boy is, or whoever was responsible for making the tea.....forgive the sarcasm, but you know what I mean.

I don't have a problem with this on channels which are free to watch, but to do this on channels which you pay to watch is not acceptable to me.
            Last edited by Carl V; 2nd November 2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

but I do like to read the names of the cast. In my opinion, this is what they should leave intact as I would imagine this is probably what would be of most interest to viewers. I'm not really bothered who the assistant best boy is, or whoever was responsible for making the tea.....forgive the sarcasm, but you know what I mean.
              Until I looked at the Wiki for 'closing credits' (yes, there is one), I'd forgotten that its only relatively recently that films had a full closing credits. Of course, when the studio system ran things, the crew was on payroll and therefore were just largely the help, but now, getting a credit is a real deal - its how you build up your CV and reputation. So everyone is now in the credits. The way broadcasters treat closing credits varies (time is money), but the BBC has exacting headlines on who's on them and when.

There is one simple reason why the cast tended to get squeezed - the second the film or programme ends, we all want to switch over. So the broadcasters use the space after the action has ended, but before we've had a chance to channel surf to feature whats coming up, etc. And thats where the cast is in the credits. So thats why we dont easily see who was the second supporting actor in scene 3, but we know who the assistant best boy is, because by that point, you've told people stuff and your just running through the credits, with everyone waiting for the next programme or gone off to make a cuppa.

As for Sky - for them time is really really really money.

Comment

As for Sky - for them time is really really really money.
                Indeed it is, you're absolutely right there. I actually preferred Sky when there were only 3 movie channels back in the pre-digital days. Quite often there weren't even any voice-overs during the end titles so you could do a nice copy onto video if you wished.

I take your point about everyone receiving a credit for their CV's. It's interesting comparing today's films to years ago when back then there was just a cast list and pretty much nothing else. Going back even further, sometimes there was just a simple "THE END" and that was your lot.

Comment

Writers have long fought for credit - its a big deal. Nowadays, everyone is a freelance, so if your not on the credits, you can't claim it. And everyone can check IMDB now. Plus the cynical viewpoint is that the credit (to get a foothold) might be worth more than the money.

Comment

I like the comical end credits in the Naked Gun films. In one of the films it says something like "people who weren't in the film but we like them anyway", and near the very end of the credit sequence, I seem to recall something along the lines of "you'd be home by now if you weren't reading these".

Comment

Metr4o 1962

What I gather you are saying is that if you are still using an older type Virgin box their is no problem., but where the older box has been taken out of 'circuit' to be replaced by a newer type box then you cannot merely reconnect the old box since it will have been deactivate by Virgin?

Comment

Originally posted by johng View Post
                        Metr4o 1962

What I gather you are saying is that if you are still using an older type Virgin box their is no problem.,
                        No problem with the older box as Virgin are allowing me to watch those progs that have been recorded BUT that box will be deactivated in approx 3 weeks time.....coutdown begins.

Originally posted by johng View Post
                        but where the older box has been taken out of 'circuit' to be replaced by a newer type box then you cannot merely reconnect the old box since it will have been deactivate by Virgin?
                        My Original post was connecting up a new V6 box to my DVD recorder.....so when I have recorded progs on my V6 I can then (If I so wish) take them off and transfer them onto DVDr.

Comment

Working...
                        X