Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

V6 (Virgin) set top box recordings onto a DVDr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you type “scart to hdmi” into Amazon or eBay, you are most likely going to see a simple cable like above. I hate to break the bad news, but simple SCART to HDMI cables like the one above are 100% SCAM, you will see them being sold on websites including eBay and Amazon, but the truth is, converting SCART into HDMI will require electrical power and a simple SCART to HDMI cable WILL NOT WORK. Do not make the mistake of wasting your money on these useless plastic cables that don’t work. Many people fall for this trap and waste £10-£20 for a useless cable. If you are one of these people who made the mistake of purchasing this cable, I suggest you contact the seller and request a full refund. Take a look at some of the negative reviews they receive on Amazon:

Please see this link for the best way

http://www.techturtle.co.uk/convert-scart-to-hdmi/

Comment

I accept that a simple cable on its own will NOT work despite what most sellers say.

However I was really referring to one of the convertor boxes priced at around £20, the Neotech one appears to be one of the best. Looking at the many reviews on Amazon most people seem to indicate that these boxes work although a few said that the picture quality had deteriorated?.

Assuming a convertor box as apposed to a simple cable does work, then surely if it will work when connected to a Scart connection on the TV it should also work if connected to a Scart connection on a DVD recorder since both the TV and the DVD recorder would expect to receive the same signal? However maybe the issue is a little more complicated than this?

Comment

I put the links there for the proper converter boxes which are dirt cheap - so I can't see why people are still blathering on about cables..jeez!

Comment

However I was really referring to one of the convertor boxes priced at around £20, the Neotech one appears to be one of the best. Looking at the many reviews on Amazon most people seem to indicate that these boxes work although a few said that the picture quality had deteriorated?.

Assuming a convertor box as apposed to a simple cable does work, then surely if it will work when connected to a Scart connection on the TV it should also work if connected to a Scart connection on a DVD recorder since both the TV and the DVD recorder would expect to receive the same signal? However maybe the issue is a little more complicated than this?
          That convertor should work OK. I'm wondering if the deterioration in picture quality is more due to the fact that they are watching a digital picture (often recorder originally in HD), and converting it to a SD analogue signal - something has to be lost somewhere.

In theory, an output is an output - so it should go from the HDMI output via the digital/analogue convertor to a scart (or RCA phono's) and thus to the back of the DVD recorder. The only problem might be that the Virgin box is designed to notice whether its a TV is outputting to, or a recording device. If it does have anti copying software on it, then thats problematic. But for £14, its worth finding out.

Comment

Bert

I take the point re your links to adaptors rather than cables. A bit doubtful about the second link however ,it seems a bit on the cheap side at £6.98.

Bonekicker.

Basically you agree with me. I don't think the V6 box can distinguish between DVD and TV since if you look at the revues of these adaptors in Amazon many people seem to have been able to connect the boxes to a DVD recorder without any problem. If the box allows you to copy to its hard drive then there would not seem to be any good reason why they should try to prevent you recording to DVD.

Thanks to both for your input. Will let you know in due course how things turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
              If you type “scart to hdmi” into Amazon or eBay, you are most likely going to see a simple cable like above. I hate to break the bad news, but simple SCART to HDMI cables like the one above are 100% SCAM, you will see them being sold on websites including eBay and Amazon, but the truth is, converting SCART into HDMI will require electrical power and a simple SCART to HDMI cable WILL NOT WORK. Do not make the mistake of wasting your money on these useless plastic cables that don’t work. Many people fall for this trap and waste £10-£20 for a useless cable. If you are one of these people who made the mistake of purchasing this cable, I suggest you contact the seller and request a full refund. Take a look at some of the negative reviews they receive on Amazon:

Please see this link for the best way

http://www.techturtle.co.uk/convert-scart-to-hdmi/
              The text above ( was taken direct from the website and not by me ) and the link above was not intended for any of the members directly but was for anyone who has similar problems and is a warning if they came across cables that suggest they do the same as a converter box.

Comment

So the set up should be....

HDMI To SCART Converter needs a 5 volt power supply (As most on Ebay do not supply this )

1.HDMI cable out of the V6

2.The other end of HDMI cable going to the HDMI input socket of the converter

3.The scart cable in the output socket of the converter then the other end of the scart socket cable into DVD recorder

4Then another scart cable from the dvd recorder to the tv scart socket

Correct?
                Last edited by Metro1962; 21st March 2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

The rest seems fine, but why the need for the TV to be connected to the DVD recorder via scart? If the DVD recorder has an HDMI and the TV has a spare, use that - at least you'll get upscaling.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bonekicker;n55298]The rest seems fine, but why the need for the TV to be connected to the DVD recorder via scart? /QUOTE]

My recorder has no HDMI socket (some do some do not ) so I use scart cable.

Comment

OK - fair enough.

Comment

Watch out on some of those HDMI To SCART Converters as they can be very expensive to buy especially in Maplins

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-sc...xtractor-n70en

Comment

Watch out on some of those HDMI To SCART Converters as they can be very expensive to buy especially in Maplins
                          Which perhaps helps explain Maplin's woes.

Comment

The Neoteck one at £22.99 from Amazon gets very good feedback with the odd exception which you will always get - you can never please some people. It apparently works OK with the V6 box. Connection between DVD recorder and TV just as before.
                            I bought one which I have not yet tried. It looked to be very well made, solid quite heavy metal case and it comes with a suitable power pack to connect to the mains. You need to buy an HDMI cable and if you hunt around on Ebay you can get them from the UK as short as half a metre..

Was a little surprised to find the underside of the box read "Made in China" but what isn't these days. It may of course have been made to Neotecks spec

I bought mine just in case however Virgin have not yet forced the V6 box on me and the older box does all I need at present. Whether they will force people to change to the V6 remains to be seen. They did so with the old Internet modem and forced people to install their new Hub which does nothing that the older one wouldn't do unless you wanted a Wi-Fi connection..

Comment

I have ordered a £12.99 HDMI To SCART Converter and waiting for it to be delivered so will see what happens when I post back.

Comment

They did so with the old Internet modem and forced people to install their new Hub which does nothing that the older one wouldn't do unless you wanted a Wi-Fi connection..
                                That was almost certainly a much better unit in lots of ways - especially having wifi. The company will want to have as uniform a series of boxes out there as possible, for lots of reasons, including support. Older boxes may no longer be supported in some ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X