Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

V6 (Virgin) set top box recordings onto a DVDr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johng View Post
    The Neoteck one at £22.99 from Amazon gets very good feedback with the odd exception which you will always get - you can never please some people. It apparently works OK with the V6 box. Connection between DVD recorder and TV just as before.

I bought mine just in case however Virgin have not yet forced the V6 box on me and the older box does all I need at present. Whether they will force people to change to the V6 remains to be seen. They did so with the old Internet modem and forced people to install their new Hub which does nothing that the older one wouldn't do unless you wanted a Wi-Fi connection..
    I am not sure that one will work on the V6 box as the connections differ to the one you need.

Comment

HDMI To SCART Converter needs a 5 volt power supply (As most on Ebay do not supply this )

1.HDMI cable out of the V6

2.The other end of HDMI cable going to the HDMI input socket of the converter

3.The scart cable in the output socket of the converter then the other end of the scart socket cable into DVD recorder

4Then another scart cable from the dvd recorder to the tv scart socket

So I tried the set up above and the result is colour bars come on the screen and also a message sage......No Scart signal...............even thought all the connections are correct.

Comment

I assume when you say that your box did not work you are referring to the one which you bought for £12.99 as referred to earlier.

I am not quite with you when you say in the earlier thread that the one I have may not work since the connections differ to the ones I need. How do you arrive at that conclusion? The V6 has standard HDMI output and my convertor has HDMI input so I cannot see the problem since it appears to work OK with most other people.

I would not have bought the Neoteck if I had not checked up on Amazon feedback and this showed that this particular convertor worked perfectly for others who had bought the unit.

It would seem that the convertor which you bought (a different make) has let you down and like the "cables" just does not work.

I cannot try out my convertor at present since so far Virgin are not forcing the V6 on me. If I have to transfer to the V6 then when I change over I will certainly paste the results on the forum.

My convertor incidentally came complete with a 5 volt power cable//transformer

Having been caught out before I tend to avoid cheaper units and go for something a bit dearer especially when it is recommended. Could it be a case of you get what you pay for?

Presumably you can return your unit for a refund?

Comment

I assume when you say that your box did not work you are referring to the one which you bought for £12.99 as referred to earlier.

I am not quite with you when you say in the earlier thread that the one I have may not work since the connections differ to the ones I need. How do you arrive at that conclusion? The V6 has standard HDMI output and my convertor has HDMI input so I cannot see the problem since it appears to work OK with most other people.

Presumably you can return your unit for a refund?
          Is this the one you bought?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Alu...cart+converter

I may have made a mistake on yours as some have HDMI in and others have HDMI out

It is possible that the one I bought was faulty so i will send it back and if no joy of another one then I will of course get a refund and look elsewhere for something that will work..

This is the one I bought below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XHK6..._t5_B07591V4FR

Comment

Yes, that's the one I bought. I decided to avoid those adaptors which you could switch to go both ways. O have always tended to avoid those things which are something of a jack of asll trades. I think you are likely to get better results if you stick to a box which has specifically been decided just to go one way..

The only switch is from P|AL to NTSC, which probably doesn't matter anyway since most apparatus these days will work on either.

Certainly the box is very well made externally and looks quality, and of course you get with it a power supply/transformer.

Suggest you have a look at Amazon feedback, and if you Google the adaptor and look at some of the forums you will see that this is the box which is recommended.

Hope this helps and if you go ahead that everything works OK.

Comment

Yes, that's the one I bought. I decided to avoid those adaptors which you could switch to go both ways. O have always tended to avoid those things which are something of a jack of asll trades. I think you are likely to get better results if you stick to a box which has specifically been decided just to go one way..

The only switch is from P|AL to NTSC, which probably doesn't matter anyway since most apparatus these days will work on either.

Certainly the box is very well made externally and looks quality, and of course you get with it a power supply/transformer.

Suggest you have a look at Amazon feedback, and if you Google the adaptor and look at some of the forums you will see that this is the box which is recommended.

Hope this helps and if you go ahead that everything works OK.

Some converters come with a USB Power Cable with it,Are these powered only by a PC or can it be powered via the V6 or DVD recorder?

Comment

You can get an Apple USB 3-pin plug so that the device can run directly from the mains.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-100...usb+3+pin+plug

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                  You can get an Apple USB 3-pin plug so that the device can run directly from the mains.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-100...usb+3+pin+plug

Nick
                  I think the converters need 5 volts not 240 volts to power it though? I think putting 240 volts through it would blow the converter.

Comment

It steps the voltage down from 230V to something that USB devices can operate at.

Comment

To avoid any misunderstanding the Neoteck box to which I referred comes with a power cable which comprises of a special 13 amp plug at one end and a low voltage plug (5 volts) at the other end for plugging in to the adaptor. The 13 amp plug must contain a transformer and/or other electronic components to reduce the voltage from 230 to 5 .

Comment

A quick update....

I bought the Neoteck HDMI To SCART Converter and it works a treat and I can now record on demand stuff as well where I could not do that before as they were copy protected.

Thanks.

Comment

Glad to see the Neoteck does work. Virgin are not forcing the V6 on me at present so I'll leave well alone however nice to know that I have it if necessary..

Comment

Working...
                          X