Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Which formats do you still own/Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which formats do you still own/Like?

I just wondered if members still collect videotapes as well as DVDs ,Blu Rays or even the good old Laser Discs?

or do you stick with just one format and if so which one?

8mm and 16mm and VHS

Comment

Since I got a Blu ray player (I only got an HD Ready TV two years ago, and that was a handmedown), I've tried to just get Blu-Ray if a film is on both formats. Often the price isn't so different, especially if you buy 2nd hand from Amazon or CEX, but the quality is much better. If a DVD is a Poundland jobbie, then its potentially tempting, but since they are now doing Blu Rays as well, its less of a dilemma.

We dont pay to stream, although thats actually quite easy, (and I'm reaching the point that unless its a bargain, I'm not going to bother buying CD's anymore - downloading is vastly quicker and easier, and probably cheaper) and pretty much all the VHS tapes went about a decade ago when my wife insisted! I've only 2 left, which are not available on DVD, and cannot be transfered due to macrovision, But at some point, they will probably go.

Since we've just moved, I must admit to being slightly shocked at the number of DVD's I had that I hadn't got around to watching, and how much space they take up..

I still have lots of customers who admit to still having a VHS player under the TV, but they can seldom tell you when they last used it. Most people probably have a foot in several camps - old equipment still exists, but gradually they update when someone gives them a new machine/format as a present or when they treat themselves, and streaming something like Iplayer makes it easier to accept something like Netflix. Younger people will be much more likely to simply stream everything, and not bother so much with a physical format. With so much of the market being 4K, I suspect that those older formats will start to gather dust, with more streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
        I just wondered if members still collect videotapes as well as DVDs ,Blu Rays or even the good old Laser Discs?

or do you stick with just one format and if so which one?
        I have (& can still play) VHS (PAL & NTSC), DVD, Blu-ray & laser-disk

Steve

Comment

Still got VHS/DVD/BluRay playback/recording formats. However, the moment I get anything in any format I digitise it to high quality mp4 or mkv. Collection now amounts to 2000 films, 6000+ UK/Australian tv episodes/programs and 5000 US tv episodes/programs.

Comment

I've got a Panasonic dual VCR/DVD player, & can copy my VHS tapes onto DVD. I no longer collect VHS, but have a way to go before my collection is all safely copied. These days I mainly collect DVDs from various sources.

Comment

VHS, Betamax and V2000 for me. I would never part with mu top loading Sony Betamax. It's just as good as the day I received it !

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
                Still got VHS/DVD/BluRay playback/recording formats. However, the moment I get anything in any format I digitise it to high quality mp4 or mkv. Collection now amounts to 2000 films, 6000+ UK/Australian tv episodes/programs and 5000 US tv episodes/programs.
                What an amazing collection!

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

Have you watched all of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                    What an amazing collection!
                    Originally posted by narabdela View Post
                    Have you watched all of them?
                    TV : Most of them are my own collection (e.g. over 1100 episodes of The Bill, transferred from 200+ VHS tapes recorded as I watched them), the rest from purchased DVDs/DVD sets. Some I know off by heart !!
                    Films : most my own DVDs, others borrowed DVDs, others from more nefarious sources. But just about all, collected because I liked what I saw.

Comment

I too have a massive collection. I started a spreadsheet for it about 10 years ago, & am still updating it with hyperlinks etc even now. Hardly a week goes by without some new titles to add. My Panasonic DVD recorded was expensive in its day, but I got some good stuff on disk, before TV drama got sanitized by 'compliance' & the restrictions of what is allowed on American public TV. Every production now seems to have selling it to the American market in mind. However, thats a rant for another day & another forum!

Comment

Almost all of the films I have on VHS video have now been replaced with DVD versions. I can't even give away the video tapes, let alone sell them. Even the charity shops don't want them. Consequently, I've chucked hundreds of them away. I still have about three hundred of them left, a mix of recorded off air films and ready recorded or sell through films bought over the years from amazon and HMV. All in keep cases. It's a shame that, although they are in excellent condition and most of the shop bought films originally cost £15 each on average, they're practically worthless due to advances in technology. Nothing modern among them, just classic films such MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962 version); EYEWITNESS (1970) and many others too numerous to list. If anyone wants them, they can pick them up for free from my address. Although you'd need a large car or van to take them away in. Maybe those you don't want when you get them home and sort them out can be got rid of at a car boot sale (do they still have car boot sales, I wonder?) No picking and choosing, they all go in one lot. I'll start chucking them all in the skip in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                          Almost all of the films I have on VHS video have now been replaced with DVD versions.
                          Same with me. Virtually all my VHS collection is now on either DVD or Blu-ray, so all the tapes have been disposed of .....and no longer have a VHS machine anyway. There's only a handful of recordings which I've transfered over from VHS to DVD, including a programme called The Shape Of A Nation (shown on the BBC way back in 1988), and has never been available to buy on DVD to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

I shall be keeping one video back, even though it's been replaced by a DVD version and that's because on the end of the film, there is a Central ITV News interview with me from 1998. I hadn't got a spare blank tape to record the news item on at the time it was transmitted, so I recorded it on the end of a film.

Comment

Almost all of the films I have on VHS video have now been replaced with DVD versions. I can't even give away the video tapes, let alone sell them. Even the charity shops don't want them.
                              Thats one of the problems - charity shops have enough problems going through the dross that they often get dumped with, and they certainly dont want tapes which nobody else wants.

The other thing is the amount of space tapes take up. I remember buying the box set of the first half of the first season of the West Wing years back. The box wasn't much smaller than the full boxset of all the seasons on DVD, and if WB ever release it on Blu-Ray (its in HD via Itunes etc), it would probably be half that size. And thats a physical format. For a lot of films, streaming suddenly becomes much similar and cheaper - especially if your just going to watch it the once. And looking at the films on 4K disc at the moment, perhaps not even the once.

On the other hand, I've just noticed that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is now on 4K disc...wow. At about £20, thats not bad at all, for such a lovely looking film.

And this sounds like the sort of thing we are after - 4, 8 or even 12K! http://4k.com/news/the-4k-uhd-restor...tunning-11933/
                              Last edited by Bonekicker; 7th May 2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X