Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Which formats do you still own/Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never thrown anything away,even if the technology is obsolete,with one exception.The Phillips tapes for their VCR which came out in 1973.The machine cost £400 and the tapes £15 for an hour.

Comment

I remember the first VCR I had was the JVC HR-3300.It was a brilliant machine for it's time and cost around £750 a lot of money in those days. E180s cost around £15 each if you could source any. The Phillips 2000 was a brilliant machine with great potential but unfortunately it never caught on. I still have 2 VHS recorders but most stuff has been transferred to DVD solely to conserve space..

We often think of the space taken up with videos but I remember when I collected films on 16mm. Three four or more 2000 ft reels for just one film!! So we don't really have a lot to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
        Almost all of the films I have on VHS video have now been replaced with DVD versions..
        Watch out with some DVD versions of films and tv episodes/shows as some VHS tapes have unaltered versions whereas some DVD/Blu Rays have altered soundtracks or different scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
          I have never thrown anything away,even if the technology is obsolete,with one exception.The Phillips tapes for their VCR which came out in 1973.The machine cost £400 and the tapes £15 for an hour.
          Is that the format that used a square black cassette with one spool on top of the other, like a very large Super 8 cassette? I remember my school had one of those VCRs which was used for filming our performances in French role playing for us to criticise ourselves and our language howlers. It had a separate analogue clock with big protruding cylindrical knobs for making timed recordings.

Later on when I was a prefect, my "patch" was in the audio-visual room (I was in my element surrounded by technology) and we had two VHS VCRs which had *wired* remote controls (none of this newfangled IR stuff!) and could play at 2x speed while keeping reasonably intelligible dialogue.

Comment

Most of the films and TV programmes that I have bought are on DVD - or a few are on BluRay, but those can only be played on the player connected to the TV, whereas I can play DVDs on my PC as well.

Anything I record off-air (and I have about 1.5 TB of recordings!) is in WTV (Microsoft Media Centre) or TS (NextPVR) format. I edit out commercials and continuity announcements with VideoRedo. I have Plex Server on the PC so we can watch anything via the Roku box on the TV, though again I tend to use my PC for watching most things that only interest me and not my wife.

On the PC, I usually use VLC as the viewer. This has the ability to play at faster than normal speed (useful for watching a 1-hour documentary in 45 mins).

I have a few films and TV programmes that I recorded on VHS (or pre-recorded bought on VHS) and I've transferred most of those to MPEG to store on my PC. Sadly my better VHS-to-MPEG converter can't handle Macrovision on commercial VHS tapes, so I have to use the cheaper one for those, and the picture quality isn't as good (more flicker and PAL artefacts). I still have the Panasonic VCR that I used to use for all my timeshifting recording before I went over to Windows Media Centre on the PC.

Being a cautious soul, I have all the PC recordings backed up onto a separate drive, just in case or drive failure...

Comment

Have a look at www.multi-vision.co.uk. They may have something which might solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
              X